Krausen fell, good or bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickme23

Reaction score
Brewing a Hefe, OG was 1.032 right now it's 1.020 But it tastes a little sweet in my opinion. How long can/should I leave a Hefe in primary? It's been a week since pitching yeast (WYEAST 3056 Bavarian wheat blend)

Still a small amount of c02 being generated I can tell by looking through the side of the carboy (small bubbles floating up from the bottom) so I know fermentation is still active if only slightly.

Any suggestions? My first instinct is to just let it sit for another week.

1.019 is the expected FG but I've been reading some thread about keeping your beer in the primary for at least a month helps the yeast to clean up the beer helping to make for a cleaner flavor with less off flavors and just an overall better beer. But they have been saying it makes for a jewel like clarity so I know that a wit or weizen hasn't been what they were talking about because that's not something you'd be happy about. And it's a little sweeter than other hefeweizens I've tried, of course this being my first batch I have no idea what bottle conditioning will do to it. I'd rather be patient and have a great first batch 2 months down the road than rush it and have pi ss in my bottles a couple weeks from now.

Can you post the recipe? A 1.019 FG from a 1.032 OG seems a bit off. I would expect a FG closer to 1.010.

What tempature are you fermenting at?

The bubbles coming could just be CO2 coming out of solution, and do not necessarily indicate fermentation. You need to use a hydrometer to check for activity.

Can you post the recipe? A 1.019 FG from a 1.032 OG seems a bit off. I would expect a FG closer to 1.010.

What tempature are you fermenting at?

I'm fermenting from 62-66 F

It's an extract kit from William's Brewing Co.

Weizenbeer is what they have it labelled as. No real recipe as it's an extract kit and they don't give a whole lot of info other than basic brewing instructions. I just re-read the instructions and I don't know how I missed this but they say "Boil 3 or 4 gallons of water and then add the contents of the malt pouch". I was making a 5 gallon batch. I could have sworn I read somewhere that the kit was for a 5 gal batch.

Anyways they don't say what the OG should be, only the FG (1.019). But I took a measurement when I pitched the yeast and it was 1.032. This was a week ago that I pitched yeast.

Gosh these are sucky instructions. No details on volumes beginning and end, just basic procedure...

The bubbles coming could just be CO2 coming out of solution, and do not necessarily indicate fermentation. You need to use a hydrometer to check for activity.

I agree, that's probably what is happening, how do I check for fermentation activity with my hydrometer? Check gravity once a day? That's the only thing I can think of...

Yep. If the reading is stable over about 3 days it should but done, but I prefer to take two measurements a week apart just to be on the safe side.

62 might be a little cool for this yeast, and it may have stalled. I would have expected it to drop pretty low very quickly with that gravity.

Yep. If the reading is stable over about 3 days it should but done, but I prefer to take two measurements a week apart just to be on the safe side.

62 might be a little cool for this yeast, and it may have stalled. I would have expected it to drop pretty low very quickly with that gravity.

Well I followed the instructions which said I should keep it between 60&65 F and I thought 62-64 F was a good middle of the road... :-/ i'm gonna be hacked if my first batch is a flush...

Back