Krausen control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBeers

Reaction score
Hi,

I am brewing a small all-grain batch where I need to minimize the amount of trub and blowoff. I've come up with the following steps:

-Sift grains to minimize grain flour
-Use whole leaf hops
-Put a filter over siphon tip and rack to the fermenter
-Use foam control agent in the fermenter (any suggestions?)

Anything I might be missing?

Cheers.

I have significantly reduced the amount of trub by boiling my pellet hops in a large nylon pain strainer bag and doing a whirlpool, from which I siphon into my fermenter via a SS strainer. I lose about 0.3 gallons in the boil kettle that way, however. I then add Defoamer 105 to the fermenter to keep the kraeusen down.

I wouldn't sift the grains, since that will reduce your efficiency. An extended vorlauf combined with straining the wort as you lauter/sparge through a nylon bag or SS strainer will achieve the same thing without compromising efficiency.

Sound advice. Thank you.

Was wondering though...any extra care needed to keep the silicone from the de-foamer out of the bottles? Or at the right level, is it food-safe?

Back