Kona Brewing Wailua Wheat Ale - extract recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AQUILAS

Reaction score
Would anyone happen to know of or have made the Wailua wheat ale by Kona Brewing? More specifically with extract?

I've searched here and nothing has really come up. There were a few threads with recipes in them, but there was never any follow up if the recipe they tried was actually good. Google searched produced the same thing.

I got asked to try and brew this and I figured since I don't really have plans this weekend, this'll let me scratch my brewing itch =]

I hate to bump my own thread, but I've got a recipe for this beer now and would appreciate some critique or suggestions.

With the help of someone on the homebrewing sub on reddit last week, he broke down the brewing details that Kona had on their site for this brew.

BITTERNESS: 14.5 IBU ALCOHOL BY VOLUME: 5.4% ORIGINAL GRAVITY: 12.0° P MALTS: PALE (PREMIUM 2-ROW), WHEAT HOPS: MILLENNIUM

This is the recipe:
•6.6 lbs Briess wheat LME
•0.25 Millenium hops at 60 minutes
•Wyeast 1010 with starter
•Thinking of going 5 cups of passion fruit pulp soaked in vodka
•1 week primary at 65F
•1 week secondary with passion fruit addition at 68F

How's this recipe sound?

Originally I was going to use 3.3lbs Briess wheat LME and 3lbs of Briess golden light DME. But someone else pointed out that the wheat LME is 65% wheat malt and 35% base malt, so he suggested using 2 cans of the wheat LME instead.

Also, would 5 cups of passion fruit pulp be enough for that passion fruit flavor? I've never had the beer before, but I'm making it from a request from somebody who loved this beer.

The malt/hops/yeast looks fine to me. If they are out of the 1010 yeast when you go, 1007 is very close. Id go with the all wheat LME, rather than the wheat/golden split.

I have no experience with adding passionfruit to the beer, but here is a chart. (other fruits in this chart are accurate) http://www.midwestsupplies.com/beer-fruit-amount.html

I appreciate the response! Looks like I'll have to make another trip to the lhbs!

As far as the yeast goes, I already got the 1010 last week when I originally got the supplies. Funniest thing was as soon as I got home, I smacked it to get it started. Went out to a friend's house for dinner and 2 hours later, the bag was hardly inflated. I look at the manufacture date....January 27, 2015. I immediately felt bummed as that date seemed old and online calculators were giving me a viability of 0%. But since I already smacked it, I figured I'd try to make a starter. So I made a 1L starter wort and put it on my stir plate. Fearing the worst, 24 hours later, I made another 1L starter wort and tossed it in. Another 18 hours later, I cold crashed it and then the next day, I checked it out and I've got a 1/4" layer of yeast on the bottom of my 2L flask...all around the flask! So apparently the yeast was a still alive and they propogated like they were trying to save the yeast race from extinction.

Latest posts

Back