Kombucha too tart/ vinegary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seton

Reaction score
Hi, I've been brewing my own kombucha for about 6mos now and have used many different types of teas including some with organic rose petals, hibiscus or berries added. Some people say this isn't a good idea but my rose batches were some o the best I've had to date. Usually after about 7 says with the mother, I bottle and let the batch sit for another week or two. Secondary fermentation in the bottle usually causes the effervescence and kills the strong vinegar bite. One type of tea hasn't really successfully done this and continues to taste a bit too sour. Besides diluting it with juice or flavoring, what are my options? Should I just stay away from this specific tea? Let me know your experiences! Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Hi, I've been brewing my own kombucha for about 6mos now and have used many different types of teas including some with organic rose petals, hibiscus or berries added. Some people say this isn't a good idea but my rose batches were some o the best I've had to date. Usually after about 7 says with the mother, I bottle and let the batch sit for another week or two. Secondary fermentation in the bottle usually causes the effervescence and kills the strong vinegar bite. One type of tea hasn't really successfully done this and continues to taste a bit too sour. Besides diluting it with juice or flavoring, what are my options? Should I just stay away from this specific tea? Let me know your experiences! Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Well you could brew that tea and cut it half and half. Juice is an option or yes you can just avoid that tea. You can also add more sugar to it, put it back in with the mother wait 30 days and use it as Kombucha Vinegar in place of any thing you would use regular vinegar.

Reviving an old thread. This was the third hit on google for "kombucha too sour" so I thought I'd share my thoughts. Perhaps a fellow googler will benefit.

I just ran into this problem with a raspberry ginger batch. I left it in primary for a week too long. It was incredibly sour, like a sour candy. To fix this I added about 50% more young kombucha (4 days old). The raspberry ginger flavor is subdued slightly, but still very drinkable. A benefit of blending is that the overall tartness is exactly where I want it. I'm very pleased with the results and recommend this method to others who have this issue.

I should also mention that I keg my booch. It's certainly easier to blend when you are kegging, although I'm sure this can be accomplished with bottles.

Back