Kombucha Herbal Tea Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah2oo4

Reaction score
Yeah so I just started, Brother's girlfriend gave me a Scoby. I was wanting to use White Tea. However my White Tea that I have is mixed with Hibiscus, Lemon Grass, and Dried Pomegranate, and was wondering if these herbs are safe? I am turned off to using green/black tea due to the toxic levels of Fluoride in them. So was hoping to do a mix of black and white (mostly white). Will these herbs kill the scoby?

From the actual scientific articles I can find on fluoride, you'd have to be a heavy consumer, like more than 4 or 5 cups a day, to have a problem with the possible elevated fluoride.

I try to avoid fluoride anyway, especially the part that it causes yellow crystals to form around your pineal gland.

so are any of those harmful to the scoby?

I'm afraid I don't have an answer but would like to add to the question and ask if linden flowers might be harmful? For my first batch of Kombucha I thought I'd use linden flower tea from the tree just outside my home, however I read that herbal teas should be used in small amounts along with black tea or another type of non-herbal tea. That being said, would a small amount of linden be ok to use with the majority being black tea?

Supposedly it is the oils in herbal teas that the scoby may not like. Ideally any additional things like fruit or flavorings would get added for the second ferment. I don't know if white tea would alone would be nourishing enough for the scoby's long term health. I use a mix of pu-erh, black, green, white and rooibos. If the fluoride comes from fertilizers, organic teas may be lower in fluoride.

Back