Kolsch yeast weirdness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
sup everybody. made a kolsch. the palmer recipe in the brewing classic styles kolsch. did the 90m boil and all that jazz. fermented at a solid 60f the whole time. transferred to secondary and put it in the lager freezer for 4 weeks. it has a weird yeasty smell. it's kegged now. if i leave it at 70f for a while will this help?

I did an American wheat with kolsch and fermented at 58-60 and got a terrible lychee like ( I don't know if that's the right description, but it was WEIRD) flavor and aroma. I let it lager at carbonation, for MONTHS, and it did not improve. I would try the 70 degree rest,, because in my experience time at low temp did nothing, best of luck and keep us updated.

Kolsch yeast takes forever to settle out, the kolsch will smell more yeasty because its a delicate beer and there is little to cover that up. In my experience cold and time may not be enough, gelatin may be in order after a
Lagering period. I have had this happen twice, gelatin was the answer.....even the Germans filter kolsch.

I always use Gelatin or Isinglas with WY2565. Add it when the beer is cold and wait 1-2 weeks, or when it clears on its own.

Have you ever had a kolsch before? The yeast does impart a unique flavor and aroma and it is supposed to!! As for the clearing up of the beer, just do as everyone else suggested. There are a bunch of fining agents that work well and clear the beer up.

I always use Gelatin or Isinglas with WY2565. Add it when the beer is cold and wait 1-2 weeks, or when it clears on its own.

What do you mean by gelatin or filter? I'm doing a batch right now which is still in primary.

I never said anything about filtering. I don't have a setup for that.

Isinglas can just be added to cold beer and left to floc out the yeast for a couple of weeks. Very effective and costs about $1 for a single use packet. It is basically fish gut lining, so vegetarians would not be real excited about this. Me love meat, so no prob.

Plain ol' Knox (or similar) gelatin thats unflavored can be also used. Where I live, a single box costs $1.60 and has four packets. One packet is needed per batch. Boil 1.5 - 2 cups water (to sterilize) and cool. Add the packet on top and let it hydrate for 10 minutes or so. Then gently stir gelatin under water. Heat in microwave for ~ 30 seconds and stir. Keep adding 5 seconds and stirring until the water runs pretty clear (dont get too hot or it will not work). Then add to cold beer. Wait a week or two.

Midwest has the liquid 2 oz for $2.50. Northern brewer has 45mL for $.99. Brew and Grow might have it also in the nothrern burbs.

You are blessed with numerous great local brew stores!

And I guess its spelled isinglass, sorry for the confusion

Midwest has the liquid 2 oz for $2.50. Northern brewer has 45mL for $.99. Brew and Grow might have it also in the nothrern burbs.

You are blessed with numerous great local brew stores!

And I guess its spelled isinglass, sorry for the confusion

No prob. Thanks for the help on this. When do I add this into my batch. I will be done with the primary on thurs and moving onto my secondary.

I'd probably add it to secondary as you are racking in. Maybe when the carboy is 1/3 - 1/2 full. That way it gets well mixed with the transferring beer.

Also what temp should I be fermenting this beer at.

Sorry for all the stupid Q's but im new and this is only my 2nd batch and I hear not to listen to the beer kit instructions.

Which yeast do you have?

For WY2565, I pitch a 3 qt starter and hold fermentation around 58F. Very little yeast character at 55 (too clean IMO). And a little too much yeast character for my tastes at 60-61. It let it come up to 65 for 2 days when the airlock slows significantly for a diacetyl rest. Then drop to 35F in secondary for 4 weeks for lagering period.

I haven't used the WLP029, but most people ferment 2-4 degrees warmer for this one.

sup everybody. made a kolsch. the palmer recipe in the brewing classic styles kolsch. did the 90m boil and all that jazz. fermented at a solid 60f the whole time. transferred to secondary and put it in the lager freezer for 4 weeks. it has a weird yeasty smell. it's kegged now. if i leave it at 70f for a while will this help?

Mine recipe called fo:

A couple weeks at 65. Primary Fermentaion
Two days at room temp 72: Diacetyl Rest
Then Lager for a few weeks. Lager

I did the same recipe at 68 for a month and though it was nice a clear it was not a Kolsch... To much of something...

I had no choice but will follow the first recipe for now on or not brew it.

Back