Kolsch yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straykiller

Reaction score
Hey guys just have a quick question if this starter looks ok. I bought some WLP029 for a brew but stuff came up and it sat in my fridge for 3 weeks. Just made a starter yesterday and noticed shortly after pitching the yeast a substantial grey layer. I snapped some pics of the yeast today, as I'm surprised how dense the yeast cake is getting below is a pic right after swirling and the other is after vigorous shaking. I've never used kolsch yeast before and was wondering if it looks normal. It smells fine. Thanks for the help.

Link to photos becuse Photobucket sucks now.
https://imgur.com/gallery/PDKPr

I don't think I've ever used 029 but I'd say it looks normal. British yeasts tend to look like giant snot globs too.

I just recently used the same yeast for the first time and although not experienced enough to say its definitely fine I can say that mine was exactly the same so probably a good sign! When shaken there were big lumps of that white stuff floating around and looked bad but guess thats typical for this yeast!

Back