Kolsch Yeast Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gresc

Reaction score
Folks, I beleive this may be normal for Kolsch but from the moment I opened the smack pack and began the starter, this yeast smelled like rotten eggs.
So, assuming this is normal (correct me if it's not) does anyone know how long it should smell ? I can still smell it through the blow off tube.

Interestingly enough, this yeast was the fastest I've ever seen ferment (less than five hours). Within a day it blew through the airlock and I had to replace it with a blow off tube. Five days in the primary and still fermenting.:mug:

The white labs kolsch yeast that i used for two brews, the first a starter was made and the second was pitched onto the cake, both fermented in about 5 days. And yes, it was very smelly

+1 on the smelly kolsch. Mine smelled like a 5 year old heineken that was fart carbonated.

Don't know what it tastes like yet.

Madtown Brew said:
+1 on the smelly kolsch. Mine smelled like a 5 year old heineken that was fart carbonated..

Ooooh, the best kind! :D Let it age for 8 weeks and you will have some tasty stuff and the memory of the fart carbonated Heini will be long gone.

.... and you're right BierMuncher, it's taking forever to ferment. It's like watching a grandfather clock tick !

Back