Kolsch yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonutBrew

Reaction score
I'm going to have a pretty hefty Kolsch II yeast cake next week. What should I put on top of it? Obviously, I just made a Kolsch (my first of this style), so what other styles would go well with this yeast?

I heard on Basic Brewing Radio that the Kolsch yeast makes for a pretty good IPA, as long as all you're looking for is a very crisp hops profile.

I have used Kolsch yeast for a big Wee Heavy, a decent size cake ensures your not underpitching. I have also used it for APA, which definatly show off the hops.

I have a Kolsch on it's 3rd week of fermentation right now as well. I'm planning on siphoning 1-2 cups of yeast slurry off of this cake and making another kolsch (same recipe) as before. Is this a viable plan? The gravities of the beers would be pretty much the same.

Yes, steinsato it's viable. And I know alot of ppl here love really long primaries and apparently hate to rack, but imho it's easier to rack to secondary and put the new wort on the sediment of the original carboy.

I too have done a mock-toberfest using washed Kolsch (wyeast) before. It turned out pretty clean, and I did keep it cool in primary.

I too have done a mock-toberfest using washed Kolsch (wyeast) before. It turned out pretty clean, and I did keep it cool in primary.

Mock-toberfest? Nice, I'm gonna do one this afternoon and call it altoberfest.

Back