Kolsch recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pashley

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm looking to brew a nice light Kolsch for easy summer drinking. Anyone have any tried and true recipes? Also, any particularities in the brewing process for this type of beer? I know I need a liquid yeast (and probably a starter) and I've heard a lower fermentation temp is best, but I wanted to ask you guys who have done this style before. Thanks in advance for the help!

i got a real easy all grain one.

8.5 lbs Pilsner
.5 lbs Munich

1.5 oz Tettnang(4.5% aa) 60 minutes
.5 oz Tettnang 10 min

i also use white labs german kolsch yeast, wlp029 and ferment at 60-62.

at 75% effeciency its right around 4.8 abv, and real light. also, the first time i brewed it i only did a 60 minute boil and got alot of dms, so deff do a 90. i would even do a 90 minute boil if using pilner extract, had problems in the past with it. hope this helps man

I just brewed this one up, but haven't kegged it yet so I can't say. Hydro samples have me really excited though. Pretty much can't go wrong with Ed's recipes.

I go with 85% to 95% pils with remainder using munich or vienna and, optionally a bit of wheat. For hops, I go with any Noble hops at about 20 to 25 IBU: near all at the bittering addition with a small flavor addition. IMO, the individual variety of Noble hops isn't terribly important. I prefer the WY strain over the WL strain for yeast, but that a personal preference.

Ferment down to 60 to 62 or as cool as conditions allow. I like to rack to a brite tank, cool for 24 hours, add gelatin and let it sit for 4 or 5 days, before transfer to a serving keg.

The yeast is the key to this style. A good clean fermentation will give you a great session beer.

+1 to 90 minute boil when using Pils in an AG brew.

Cheers,
Glenn

use german pilsner if you can, american pilsner malt makes my german brews taste like coors IMO.

Latest posts

Back