"Kolsch" recipe - help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshtchuk

Reaction score
I want to brew a nice kolsch for this coming summer and I was hoping to add some citrusy hop flavour and aroma to kind of liven it up a bit (I'd be using leaf hops from around the west coast here). The numbers are going to be within the guidelines of a traditional kolsch but I'll be using some non-traditional hops then. I'm still new to designing my own recipes so I formulated this one from Papazian's Itsok Kolsch. I could most definitely use some more help and guidance in directing the hop bill in the right way. I don't want to overpower it with these flavours just give it some complexity and citrusy tones. Here's the rough recipe I drew up in Beersmith:

Est. OG: 1.048
Est. FG: 1.012
IBU: 25.2
Color: 5.1 SRM
Est ABV: 4.8%
Boil size: 3 gallons
Batch size: 5 gallons
Boil Time: 60 mins

2.2 lbs. X-Light DME
3.3 lbs. Wheat Dry Extract

0.25 oz. Simcoe @ 60 mins.
0.75 oz. Amarillo Gold @ 60 mins.
0.5 oz. Amarillo Gold @ 15 mins.
0.5 oz. Amarillo Gold @ Flameout

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch Yeast

Any suggestions/alterations would be greatly appreciated!

My last Koelsch had Vanguard (domestic noble-ish) and I used:
30g @ -60min
7.5g @ -10min
17.5g @ 0min

Don't go too crazy with the hops if you want a Koelsch. If you want some kind of hoppy pseudo-lager, the recipe you have will probably be fine.

Definitely not interested in a 'hoppy pseudo-lager'. Maybe I'll decrease the Amarillo gold at 60 mins and a bit at flameout as well. I really am only interested in adding a bit of the aroma and flavour while still trying to keep the subtle maltiness of a kolsch.

Yeah, that came directly from Papazian's Itsok Kolsch recipe which I'm using as a guideline. I was thinking about changing it to about 60% DME and 40% wheat.

Definitely not interested in a 'hoppy pseudo-lager'. Maybe I'll decrease the Amarillo gold at 60 mins and a bit at flameout as well. I really am only interested in adding a bit of the aroma and flavour while still trying to keep the subtle maltiness of a kolsch.

Dry hop mildly then. I make EdWort's Kolsch Wheat all the time, I'm drinking it right now. Sometimes I will dry hop it very mildly. I love the slight aroma and even flavor that develops over time. It's a bit out of guidelines for a Kolsch, but I like it.

Dry hop mildly then. I make EdWort's Kolsch Wheat all the time, I'm drinking it right now. Sometimes I will dry hop it very mildly. I love the slight aroma and even flavor that develops over time. It's a bit out of guidelines for a Kolsch, but I like it.

Sounds good. I'll half the flameout addition and do a mild dry hop with the amarillo gold. Thanks.

Do as you want, but late additions of american citrusy hops like amarillo will produce a tasty beer but not a Kolsch. If you are trying to brew to style I suggest reading the guidelines - http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style06.php#1c

As it stands now the hop bill (especially with dry hop) is leaning towards an american pale ale.

Yeah, I'm not really looking to brew specifically to style. I kind of wanted to take the kolsch recipe as a back bone and add some light citrusy hop flavours and aromas.

A well-brewed Kolsch will likely have some of those flavors anyway without any special additions. SOmetimes the beer is described as having a peachy note at the end which can sharpen with mineral content in the water. Having just brewed one, I feel compelled to tell you that it should be pretty dry on the finish. In my case the wort didn't fully convert leaving it sweeter and with too much mouthfeel. Be sure to use the proper amount of yeast to dry this puppy out.

Back