Kolsch Recipe Fine Tuning Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reim0027

Reaction score
I'm going to be making a Kolsch in a month or two. I want it to be crisp and clean, lager-like.

Recipe:
2-Row Pilsner (german) 6lbs 13.7oz
Vienna Malt 1lb 13.3oz
Hallertauer 1.16 ounces for 60 minutes
Hallertauer 0.58 ounces for 20 minutes

Wyeast 2565 (Kolsch - starter will be made)

My plan is to mash for 75 minutes at 145F. Then, I double batch sparge.

I also plan on keeping my fermentation temperature lower as well (57 degrees). And, once active fermentation is done, slowly turning it down to 32 degrees until fermentation is complete.

Final estimated numbers: OG: 1.047, FG: 1.012, 26 IBU, 3.6 SRM, ABV 4.6

I just got a beer filter, and this will be the first time using it.

So, my questions are:
1. Is a secondary needed (since I can filter the beer for clarity)?

2. What do you think about the recipe design (lower longer mash and lower fermentation temperature)?

3. What do you think of the idea of "lagering" the Kolsch like my plan is (or is there a better way)? I'm basing this off of BeerSmith's fermentation profile for Kolschs.

The overall recipe looks good to me. Not everyone uses a hop flavor addition (20 min), but it is just a little amount and sounds like it could be tasty!

1. I usually don't use secondary on any of my beers... so I would say skip it.

2. I 've not used Wyeast 2565, but their website says the yeast does well in that upper 50's range, so should be good. However, I usually let my fermentation raise a few degrees as primary fermentation slows down, to let the yeast clean up any byproducts and keep it very clean. I would not rush that step, as yeast off-flavors will have nowhere to hide in a light pale beer like this. After a few days at the higher temp, and when you are sure fermentation is over, then I would slowly drop down to low 34-36 for a week. That usually knocks a lot of the yeast out of suspension!

Longer mash is always a good idea with Pilsner malt, as is a very vigorous boil to ensure DMS precursors are boiled off. I'm not sure if the mash temp that low is needed.. 148-150 should be just as good. Also, be sure to start your post-boil wort cooldown asap. DMS production can still happen at sub boil temps.

3. Since this is an ale yeast, the 'lagering phase' is not about fermentation but more about clearing the beer and getting that aged taste profile. I would just get it into the keg/bottle after the cold crash above, and then age it there for 6 weeks in the fridge... if you can wait that long! :)

Also, you did not mention water additions. In my area, my water is very high pH .. around 8.1. This makes light colored beers difficult to get right without adding some acid to the mash and the sparge water. A high pH can leach astringent flavors from the grain husk and make your beer less enjoyable. I would consider adding some lactic acid. You way also want to look at your chlorides and consider CaCl too!

Let us know how it turns out!! Good luck!!
--LexusChris

I agree with raising the mash temp, 150-152, the Vienna malt won't support the highly fermentable wort from that low of a mash temp, and I think you will end up a bit thin.

There are a few issues with your process and if suggest moving your finishing hop to 10 or 5 and perhaps increasing It to an ounce. There is supposed to be some hop character in a kolsch, but that's more of a personal preference issue.

1. Mash at 149-150, nothing to be gained by mashing as low as you are planning.

2. Do not ferment that cool, I've had kolsch yeast throw sulfur at the low end of the range. An appropriate lagering/cold conditioning is more important.

I'd also make sure it comes to the upper end of the temp range as it finishes ferm.

As for the lager/cold condition Id do a Drest, it may be unnecessary, but it's easy and good insurance for the beer to finish beyond and diacetyl concerns.

You could lager on the cake but I wouldn't suggest taking it much past 6-8 weeks. Honestly if you're going to keg then I'd just cold condition in the keg, you could alternatively do it in the bottle as well.

Back