Kolsch reciepe . Bittering hops substitution?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMGK

Reaction score
Hat would be solution for replacing perle battering hops for a Ed worts kolsch receipe? I have plenty to get tetttanger, cascade, hallertau and Saaz. Reciepe calls for perle as bittering. In order to match ibus, for the reciepe I would have to use about 3 times as much ttteanger for the bittering. However on all the hop substitute charts none of my other hops are equivalent to perle. I would like to brew today and this is my only hold back. Thanks for any help.

I think you'd be fine shooting for 20-ish IBU of Hallertau for bittering and 5-10-ish IBU of Tettnang for flavor/aroma.

I think you'd be fine shooting for 20-ish IBU of Hallertau for bittering and 5-10-ish IBU of Tettnang for flavor/aroma.

Traditionally, Kolsch beers have very little if no aroma hop at all.

Use either Tett or Hallertauer for bittering.

"A low noble hop aroma is optional but not out of place (it is present only in a small minority of authentic versions)."

MC

Traditionally, Kolsch beers have very little if no aroma hop at all.
MC

Agreed - the guideline is low aroma, if any. But Ed's recipe does have a 5 min. addition. My last batch had a 60 min. Hallertau for bittering and a small 30 min. Tett for a little flavor. No aroma addition.

Agreed - the guideline is low aroma, if any. But Ed's recipe does have a 5 min. addition. My last batch had a 60 min. Hallertau for bittering and a small 30 min. Tett for a little flavor. No aroma addition.

I put 1oz @ 10m in 11 gallons, and most of my homebrewing friends said "too hoppy for style". Got nicked in a competition, too.

MC

So what you thinking bump up addition from 15 to 30 and the 5 to 15?

Aren't the ibus for the reciepe on a whole more hoppy then what is traditional?

Hat would be solution for replacing perle battering hops for a Ed worts kolsch receipe? I have plenty to get tetttanger, cascade, hallertau and Saaz. Reciepe calls for perle as bittering. In order to match ibus, for the reciepe I would have to use about 3 times as much ttteanger for the bittering. However on all the hop substitute charts none of my other hops are equivalent to perle. I would like to brew today and this is my only hold back. Thanks for any help.

I love tettnanger. You can use that or the hallertau or both. It's a very light hopped beer and no aroma or flavor hops either. Unless you want to mix it up..

Back