Kolsch problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LazyPasta

Reaction score
I decided that I wanted to make a kolsch lawnmower beer so I brewed up a batch. It was delicious during every gravity reading and was coming along quite nicely for the 3 weeks that I fermented it. It seemed nice and refreshing with i nice hoppy flavor (or as refreshing as flat beer can get). Since the the hydrometer reading wasn't changing anymore for several days, I bottled it with 3/4 cup of corn sugar. Now, it is a little more than 2 weeks into bottle conditioning and I decided to see how one was coming along. I put it in the fridge and later in the day opened it up only to realize it doesn't taste hoppy or refreshing anymore. It wasn't nearly carbonated enough and had more of a watery taste than anything. It is definitely drinkable so I don't believe there is any sort of contamination. My thoughts are to just leave it sit for another couple weeks and try again, but what might be causing this? I don't see why it would taste amazing during gravity readings and then get watery after conditioning. Also, it has been conditioning around 70-72 degrees for 2 weeks. Should I try lowering the temp some? Thanks in advance!

It shouldn't taste hoppy and it's probably not fully carbonated. I'd give it another week before expecting it to be 'done'. What was your OG/FG? I generally aim for about 1.050/1.010 with a kolsch.

Agree with above. Most Kolsch's are not hoppy. Its all about the subtle yeast flavor you get, and some maltiness.

I have a clone attempt at a Honkers Ale in keg right now. I thought it was incredibly boring and could taste very little hop flavor pre-carbonation. After carbing, I think it turned out okay. Not awesome, but much better than my expectations of it pre-carbed. 2 weeks is too soon, so give it one or two more and try again.

I can't really speak to the loss of hoppiness or it tasting watery, but I would suggest waiting longer. I brewed a kolsch last month and at three weeks into conditioning tried one and it had next to no carbonation. I knew I was being inpatient but I just couldn't resist trying one. After posting on here I was told the same thing. It is hard to tell how a beer is going mature until you actually let it do so. I just bottled a batch last night and decided to set a date that I will wait until to try any of them. I set it at four weeks. Also I wouldn't drop the temperature while they are conditioning. 70-75 is perfect for conditioning. Dropping the temperature will just slow the process. So give it some time and I'm sure they will still taste great once they are ready.

ajwillys, it wasn't necessarily very hoppy, its just that you could make out the hop flavor. No extreme bitterness by any means. My OG was 1.052 and my FG was 1.012 so that seems reasonable. Do you usually cool the temp. at all during conditioning for a kolsch? Anyways, I'll definitely let it sit another week or two.

Yes I will primary at 59F for 2 weeks using WY2565. Note that you need to aerate and pitch enough yeast for a complete ferment in 2 weeks. Then I will add gelatin for yeast clearing (sometimes rack to secondary), and cold condition/lager at 40F for 3 weeks. Then prime with sugar in bottling bucket and bottle carb at 70F for 3 weeks. No issues with carbonation with 3 batches. None of the 3 tasted that interesting until they were carbed, so I think you're okay. Its a mild beer afterall.

Alternatively if you did not cold condition/lager, you could wait until the bottles are carbd at 70F, and then drop them into the fridge for 3-4 weeks prior to consumption. You might have to rotate them if you can't get them all into your fridge.

Solbes and mrkrausen, thanks for the responses! It seems like they may be on the right track. Just need to brew some more beer and let the kolschs bottle in peace for a while more.

If you have a decent liquor store by you another option is to get a build a six pack of some craft beers you haven't tried. I've been doing that a bit lately to get a taste of a variety of styles.

Yeah I've actually been doing that quite a bit as well. Currently looking into how to make Stiegl Pils or maybe a Spaten Oktoberfest. Hmmmmm this brewing "hobby" seems to be turning into a bit of an obsession :mug:

Back