Kolsch PM Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCastle

Reaction score
Going to try a PM Kolsch and was wondering how the following looks:

3lbs Pilsner Malt
1lb Wheat Malt
3.5lbs Briess Light DME

1.0oz Hallertauer 60min
1.0oz Hallertauer 30min

Wyeast Kolsch yeast

I am planning on following the BYO Article on Counter top Partial Mashing, (i.e. around 3 gallons boil volume, mash temp around 150 for 60 min, sparge temp 170 for 5 min, etc).

Any suggestions? Will this make a fairly close version?

NCastle said:
Going to try a PM Kolsch and was wondering how the following looks:

3lbs Pilsner Malt
1lb Wheat Malt
3.5lbs Briess Light DME

1.0oz Hallertauer 60min
1.0oz Hallertauer 30min

Wyeast Kolsch yeast

I am planning on following the BYO Article on Counter top Partial Mashing, (i.e. around 3 gallons boil volume, mash temp around 150 for 60 min, sparge temp 170 for 5 min, etc).

Any suggestions? Will this make a fairly close version?

It is the Briess Extra Light stuff, right? That is good stuff, 100% pilsner malt. I would suggest looking into adding most of the extract late in the boil to keep the color down (search: late extract addition).

A Kolsch was my first (and last) partial mash, I think it really benefits from the partial mash.

I added a pound of vienna to mine. You might consider that or Munich to add a little more malt complexity.

Hops look good. Kolsch generally don't have a hop flavor addition, but that is up to you. I made mine very hoppy. A hop aroma is optional.

Make a starter for the yeast! Kolsch yeast can sometimes be slow. Ferment as cool as the yeast will let you.

Don't do PM's so can't help you there but I just did a AG Kolsch with that Wyeast and it's a real funny yeast. Long lag times doesn't really inflate when smacked, etc. There's a thread here some where. Does a good job in the end just has an odd time getting there.

Rudeboy

so far my kolsch has been 2-row and vienna. maybe toss .5lbs of vienna in there with what you already have.

I'd get more creative on the hops too. I do mine with saaz and spalt, including a small addition at flameout. neither is a very aggressive hop.

Back