Kolsch kit from Northern Brewer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkstar79

Reaction score
I wanted to get a light beer so its ready for the spring. In this kit there is no steeping grains, which every other kit I have used has had them. It has 6 lbs pilsner LME and I think 1lbs dme. the kit instructions say to add the dme for the full 60 min, but the LME only for the last 15 min of the boil. Am I understanding this right? usually I have added thr LME for the full 60 minutes with the others beers I have brewed.

The reason they recommend that is since a kolsh is light and clear in color they want you to do a late extract addition....The longer you boil liquid extract the darker it gets. You don't notice as much if the recipe has steeping grains, but it would be really evident with just the DME/LME.

Actually late extract liguid additions are recommended all over the web for any beer that uses LME, not only does it keep the color lighter, it also avoids "Extract Tang," which a lot of people complain about.

ok thanks for the advice. I am also using liquid yeat for the first time, it was a wyeast smack pack. i smacked it at around 8:30 am and its swelled nicely now

I'll just chime in before you get concerned if you are using 2565:

-ferment it on the cold side
-yes, it's supposed to smell that awful
-warm it up a couple days at the end and slap it in the fridge for a couple weeks to lager and your beer will thank for you it :)

brewt00l said:

-warm it up a couple days at the end and slap it in the fridge for a couple weeks to lager and your beer will thank for you it :)

Are you saying lager in the bottles in the fridge?

Revvy said:
Are you saying lager in the bottles in the fridge?

I do a short rest at 70 then rack to a secondary, toss the secondary in a 34 degree fridge. Just did a Dead Guy inspired brew with 2565 that's sitting in the fridge as we speak! After a couple weeks in the fridge, I take it out and let it come back up to temp then bottle as normal. YMMV BBQ and all that!

brewt00l said:
I do a short rest at 70 then rack to a secondary, toss the secondary in a 34 degree fridge. Just did a Dead Guy inspired brew with 2565 that's sitting in the fridge as we speak! After a couple weeks in the fridge, I take it out and let it come back up to temp then bottle as normal. YMMV BBQ and all that!

Oh...darn, I thought you were saying it was possible to lager in the bottles...I don't have a dedicated fridge that I could stick a carboy in....

You had to mention BBQ didn't you....this winter is dragging on, and I can't wait for BBQ season....We're even supposed to be getting a serious ice storm in the next couple hours...

*sigh*

Revvy said:
Oh...darn, I thought you were saying it was possible to lager in the bottles...I don't have a dedicated fridge that I could stick a carboy in....

I am in the same situation as you are. My plan is to do just that - bottle lager. As long as the primary is sufficiently cold, it shouldn't hurt the beer all that much to delay cold conditioning for three weeks. It's not ideal, but if it's the only way we have to reproduce the best beer in the world, then it'll just have to do ;)

Viva Colonia!

ArcaneXor said:
I am in the same situation as you are. My plan is to do just that - bottle lager. As long as the primary is sufficiently cold, it shouldn't hurt the beer all that much to delay cold conditioning for three weeks. It's not ideal, but if it's the only way we have to reproduce the best beer in the world, then it'll just have to do ;)

Viva Colonia!

I'd like to know how it goes....

Revvy said:
I'd like to know how it goes....

I'll let you know, though I am probably not going to brew it for several weeks because I'll need one of my 1-gallon carboys (the only ones I can do lager & hybrid fermentations in) to tertiary a blackberry-apfelwein.

brewt00l said:

I will be brewing the honey Kolsch kit from Northern Brewer this weekend. It uses the Wyeast 1010. Would you recommend the same lagering process, or is it limited to just the 2565 yeast (not the beer type)?

Back