Kolsch hop question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahouse86

Reaction score
Hello all

Just a quick question.....do you think that a decent kolsch can be made with american tettang vs the German variety. I have a pound of the US and don't really wanna but more hops.

Thanks

To answer your question, I dont know.

But I have made two kolsch ales that were quite good. One with liberty and one with hallertau hops.

They were both very good, the liberty was more citrusy and floral and aromatic. I prefered the hallertau but i wish had added more hops, it seems they are less potent than the liberty pellets I used. I used the same amount for each.

Thought I'd reply since no one has yet.

IMHO, yes, you can brew a good Kolsch w/ American Tettnang hops. Just watch your IBUs, as the American Tettnang gets to sit a little bit higher on the AA% scale. The taste and aroma tends to be very similar in both of those varieties.

Thanks for all the replies guys I wanna enter some beer into a competition but I don't wanna hear the wife complain about me buying more stuff for beer. She says I'm obsessed.

I hear ya. Thats why I put it all on a credit card and make an "extra" payment here and there ;)

Its a hobby anyways....

Yeah and its a great hobby its amazing that when u buy in bulk and semi know what you're doing you can make a great beer for a fraction of the cost of buy a similar beer

Thanks for all the replies guys I wanna enter some beer into a competition but I don't wanna hear the wife complain about me buying more stuff for beer. She says I'm obsessed.

Tell her that you'll give up brewing if you're allowed to spend the money at the strip club instead.

Back