Kolsch Fermentation Yeast: Wyeast2565

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHeadKev

Reaction score
Fermenting a Kolsch at the moment. Kept it at 67 degrees for 10 days, the Gravity was consistent for 3 days straight so i then dropped the Temp to 52 degrees last night to start a 2 week lager period.
This is something i read online from a Kolsch Brewer, but when i woke up this morning i seen the Yeast has begin to floc to the bottom. I guess my question is, would you raise the temp back up or leave the beer in the low 50's for the next 2 weeks? :mug: Thanks and Cheers

I assume that the FG was below 1.016 for 3 days, so their job should be done. If you could share what starting and finishing gravity were it might be helpful. Yeast should be settling out at those temperatures. Kolsch is usually a very clear beer, often filtered.

I assume that the FG was below 1.016 for 3 days, so their job should be done. If you could share what starting and finishing gravity were it might be helpful. Yeast should be settling out at those temperatures. Kolsch is usually a very clear beer, often filtered.

2565 is notoriously slow in settling and takes a fairly long time or filtering to end up clear.

I just used this yeast in 2 - 10 gallon batches of Kolsch. I let each batch sit in primary for three weeks, at 58 degrees. Still have an inch of yeasty trub on top. Easy to rack though, and the beer looked almost like orange juice the first day in secondary. A day or two later, though, and much of the remaining yeast dropped out - I would have bottled at that time if it was my plan. However, I am kegging this, so I give it another two weeks cold crashing before kegging. Comes out super clear.

Call me a cheater but I recently used 2565 on my Kölsch and gelatin and it was completely clear in a week. 2 days cold crash 5 days in keg clear as a commercial brew

Back