Kolsch fermentation temperatures and durations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BootstrapBill

Reaction score
I am making a Kolsch and am on day 3 right now of the primary fermentation. I have had it hanging out in the mid 60's. When am I supposed to cool it and for how long?

I typically ferment mine right around 60-62 until fermentation is almost wrapped up, then like a lager, warm it up for a diacetyl rest for 1-2 days before cold conditioning. So, basically, I treat it like a lager but a little warmer overall ferm temp.

How long do you lager it for? And then afterwards, do you need to let it go back to room temp and then keg?

I fermented mine for 10 days, then shook it a bit to get the crazy krauesen to fall, then cold crash for 3 more days. Then keg. I did not do a d-rest on mine.

I let mine sit in the keg @32 for 2 weeks. In that time it finished clearing (Wyeast 2565 does not floc well). At that time you can do what you want with it.

making a kolsch soon if the weather cooperates. i don't have much in the way of temperature control on the cold side so i'm dependent on weather...

I just made a honey Kolsch. Can't say that I really knew what to expect. Didn't even know about lagering a Kolsch. I cold crashed it in the chest freezer at about 38 degrees for 3 days. It's clear and tasty. I should have tried a Kolsch before hand to see if I am in the ballpark with the taste. Was fermented for just under 3 weeks at 62

The only Kolsch that I have ever had was a Sierra Nevada Kolsch a year and a half ago and I enjoyed it. Doesn't matter I guess if it tastes that close to a Kolsch as long as you like it. I am not going to use it for competition.

I'm on day 6 of Edwort's Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch and I used WLP029 and have been fermenting at 64 degrees (fermentation temp, ambient temp was about 56 degrees). Its been fermenting at a nice pace and I plan on transferring it to a secondary this weekend. I have not tested with my hydrometer but my guess it's about done. It's beginning to clear up nicely and I plan on letting it settle for another two weeks in secondary.

I'll test it this weekend when I transfer.

Back