Kolsch Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarmaCitra

Reaction score
So I have been intrigued by brewing a Kolsch and took a crack at building a recipe. I haven't used Citra in quite some time and thought maybe it would be interesting in a Kolsch (hopefully I'm doing anything sacrilegious). Any critiques would be appreciated!

Partial Mash, 5 gallon batch, 90 min boil

4# German Pilsner Malt 47.1%
2# German Vienna 23.5%
.5# Caramunich 5.9%
2# Extra Light DME 23.5%

1oz Saaz - 90 min
.5 oz Citra - 30 min
.5 oz Citra - 5 min

Safale K-97

IBU 22.12
ABV 5.29%
OG 1.048
FG 1.008

Mash at 150 60min ferment at 62-64

Sorry but if you going to put an American hop like Citra in the mix it is no longer a Kolsch, or a "Kolsch style" to be proper. Perhaps a blond ale or such but a Kolsch, no. A Kolsch is a German beer with German malts, German hops, and the appropriate German yeast. Maybe I'm the style Nazi here but I don't care. A Kolsch is a specific brew, in fact it is an appellation like Cognac or Champagne, and a hop like Citra doesn't belong.

Sorry but if you going to put an American hop like Citra in the mix it is no longer a Kolsch, or a "Kolsch style" to be proper. Perhaps a blond ale or such but a Kolsch, no. A Kolsch is a German beer with German malts, German hops, and the appropriate German yeast. Maybe I'm the style Nazi here but I don't care. A Kolsch is a specific brew, in fact it is an appellation like Cognac or Champagne, and a hop like Citra doesn't belong.

Yes. What he said.

Absolutely must use Kolsch yeast to call it a Kolsch. And it'll need a few weeks at cool temps (not necessarily lager temp but darn close) to really give it the full affect.

The percentage of Vienna seems a bit high in terms of the color impact for a Kolsch. I might be nitpicking on that, though.

Also, conventional wisdom is to boil wort from a grain bill high in pilsner for 90 min, but plenty of folks don't stick to that and say it's fine.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I figured that even typing "Citra" in this thread would garner some strong responses.

As far as the yeast goes, I was trying to avoid using liquid yeast, and it doesn't appear that they make a dry Kolsch yeast.

With all of this, I'll be going back to the drawing board. Thanks everyone.

You can use citra if you only use it for bittering. Kolsch is not that hoppy and doesn't have any hop flavour or aroma.

Just do it. Who cares if it's not traditional.

I've used the (German) Schill Cologne Kolsch malt in several brews and the results were very good. Never had a "real" Kolsch so don't know what to compare it to, but you may want to try that instead of just Pilsner malt. Color comes in at L 4.1-4.6, compared to Schill Pilsner which is L 1.25 to 1.7. I suppose the flavor is different, it would be interesting to brew a Kolsch with Pilsner and another with the Cologne Kolsch malt and taste the difference. I agree with those saying go easy on the hops in a Kolsch, but I know some brewers are making hopped lagers so maybe it would be worth trying with the Citra. I also recommend the WL 029 Kolsch yeast, you can save it and re-pitch several generations.
You can get the Kolsch yeast here for $1.32/Lb:
http://www.store.homebrew4less.com/Schill-Cologne-Kolsch-Malt-per-LB-German/productinfo/CBGLO1008/

Back