kolsch but not quite...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulielow

Reaction score
I'm thinking of puting down a batch using t-58 I want a nice light refreshing slightly fruity ale, kind of like a kolsch but obviously it won't be the same. Is this too much hops?

25L batch

1.5kg tin TC light LME
1kg extra light DME
500g dextrose
40g saaz 4%@60
20g hallertau 3%@30
10g hallertau 3%@15
T-58(but probably us-05 now after t-58 was criticised elsewhere)
1 whirlfloc tab@15

15L water to boil then add tin of LME , boil till hot break then start timer, saaz at 60min, first hallertau at 30min, then last at 15min, add rest of fermentables at flame out and cool in ice bath then into the fermenter and topped up with cold filtered water out of the fridge. Shake the **** out of it add yeast starter shake again add airlock ferment in bathtub full of water and frozen bottles aiming for between 18-20oC for 3 weeks then cold crash 3 weeks in fridge and add finings 2 days before bottling and leave it alone for a few months.

The yeast I have are the t-58 and the us-05 so it has to be one of these..

Looks pretty good. Hop levels look spot on. Should turn out well.

Of course, to get the real Kolsch flavors, you need to use a Kolsch yeast strain, and then ferment it around 15-16 C.

Yer I know it won't be an actual kolsch I'm just looking for that nice clean, clear and light style. The hops were my main concern so that takes a load off, what do you think of the yeast selection I've been told that although t-58 could work it might be too peppery....

Back