Knowing when fermentation is done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayjay

Reaction score
Hi
I am new to homebrewing and my first batch is undergoing fermentation at the moment.

My question is: Is fermentation still going strong as long as there is bubbles comming out of the airlock.

I know that i can't tell if the fermentation is done when there is no longer comming bubbles out, however is it possible to decide whether its still going?

Cheers

i believe someone else would say, it's when your hydrometer doesn't change for a couple days.....(for me i use gluco and keg at 1.000 :))

Hi
I am new to homebrewing and my first batch is undergoing fermentation at the moment.

My question is: Is fermentation still going strong as long as there is bubbles comming out of the airlock.

I know that i can't tell if the fermentation is done when there is no longer comming bubbles out, however is it possible to decide whether its still going?

Cheers

Bubbles in the airlock are for your entertainment, identical readings on your hydrometer a couple days apart tell when the beer is done fermenting. I would wait at least 10 days for the first sample.

Hmm okay - thing is that the hydrometer that i got with the package has broken

I am brewing with muntons extract (irish stout) and in the recipe it says that it will probably be done fermenting after 4-6 days, which seems like a short time to me

LOL, they tend to get lonely....they should have sent them in a pair! :D (there's a thread for the departed...)

4-6 days sounds about right to me......

And, i didn't say Welcome!

Without a hydrometer I would just let it ride for 2 weeks. longer if you want. You don't want to rush the yeast as they tend to clean up after themselves if you give them time. You will probably hit FG by 6 days but the extra time for the yeast to finish their job will improve the final product. I rarely move the beer from the fermenter in less than 14 days regardless of when it hit FG.

I am brewing with muntons extract (irish stout) and in the recipe it says that it will probably be done fermenting after 4-6 days, which seems like a short time to me

Done fermenting and ready to bottle are not the same. Most ales will be completely fermented but will have a lot of trub (gunk?) suspended in them. Give them more time an a bunch of that will settle out so it doesn't end up in the bottle. Since you have the time to do so, get yourself another hydrometer (or 2 so one doesn't get so lonesome) as you will need it fro every batch. Two hydrometer samples that match taken a couple days apart and are near what is predicted means you can safely bottle.

Very well - thanks for the inputs i have now recieved a new hydrometer and will check whether the gravity changes over the next couple of days
Cheers

For future batches, I recommend a narrow range bottling hydrometer. They're more accurate than a standard hydrometer. Mine has hash marks every .0005 units, and I can easily read it to he nearest .00025.

Back