Kmeta in Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled a batch of cider that I started in Nov. 2021. I was busy, so couldn't get it bottled until now. I don't think that 1 year aging in the carboy should be a problem, but the leftovers from bottling have is a distinct vinegar flavor. I added Kmeta when I originally racked it into the carboy, but didn't add any more later.

My question has to do with Kmeta and bottle carbonation. If I add regular doses of Kmeta to cider during aging, as I would for wine, will that inhibit the remaining yeast when I do bottle carbonation? Would it be better to add some fresh yeast before bottling?

I am interested to hear from anyone who has experience with Kmeta and bottle carbonation. Thanks!

I have had problems with an aged cider, a cold crashed cider and a KMBS treated cider from bottle conditioning. Adding yeast did the trick, it's easy to do, and cheap insurance if you think there might be an issue.

Back