kloudy kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

android

Reaction score
i brewed up the bee cave kolsch on 2/28. it was my first AG batch and the runnings weren't exactly clear, but i figured with a cool secondary (where it resides now) would clear it up a bit. i fermented it around 65 deg until the FG didn't change and then racked to secondary, where it's been for almost 2 weeks at 60 deg (trying to mimic a cold crash type thingy). i'm not in any hurry to bottle it, but the cloudiness in it is pretty intense and MAYBE the top inch of beer in the seondary has cleared. any thoughts on if i should try gelatin or anything or will it eventually clear up?

thanks.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
2 weeks isn't that long especially at 60. I usually have a Kolsch in secondary around 52. You could also try isingglass, which I've found works very well. It takes about two weeks to work

DrinksWellWithOthers

Reaction score
I just bottled a kolsch last week that took a while to clear. I ended up letting it sit in secondary at 50F for 6 weeks and it came out crystal clear.

OP
android

android

Reaction score
thanks for the info. i'll just be patient with it and see when it looks good to bottle.