Klarstein Maischfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jloewe

Reaction score
Looking at electric set ups. Klarstien and Anvil are on my very short list. Of course nothing is decided until I buy but looking for info.

Have a ton of info on robobrew, Anvil, and grainfather out there. But Klarstein is kind of hard to find info wise. Anyone have experience with these units? There’s the 25l and 30l I’m looking at.

What attracts me is of course the price. Looking at small units to brew small batches and that $229 is very attractive for 25L and $239 for the 30L seems like an even better deal although that might be hard to boil on my standard outlet. If I’m patient I’m sure I can find even cheaper.

Thanks

I bought the 35L from an Amazon Warehouse deal for $140 last year... It was most likely a return, but it looked pretty much brand new.
It had an E4 error when I did the initial wet test w/ water. So I assume that's what got it sent back. I pushed reset button underneath and haven't had E4 since (the sensor is also easy to by-pass/replace if goes bad or is too sensitive).

I've only done a few batches in it, though. Transitioned from 6g stove-top BIAB. Only recipe adjustment is to account for less boil-off.

I'm almost certain that the kettle itself is just a re-badged Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil v. 1... The only differences seem to be in how the basket is suspended for sparging. (plus the klarstein comes w/ the stainless immersion chiller)

They seem identical in other respects. So check the Mash & Boil threads:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/brewers-edge-mash-and-boil.688511/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/brewers-edge-mash-boil.595987/
Lots of BE M&B threads on reddit, as well... and youtube modding videos.

Seems legit. For now I’m still on the fence between either the Anvil or the Klarstien. After this I’m feeling more in line with the Klarstien.

I bought the 35L from an Amazon Warehouse deal for $140 last year... It was most likely a return, but it looked pretty much brand new.
It had an E4 error when I did the initial wet test w/ water. So I assume that's what got it sent back. I pushed reset button underneath and haven't had E4 since (the sensor is also easy to by-pass/replace if goes bad or is too sensitive).

I've only done a few batches in it, though. Transitioned from 6g stove-top BIAB. Only recipe adjustment is to account for less boil-off.

I'm almost certain that the kettle itself is just a re-badged Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil v. 1... The only differences seem to be in how the basket is suspended for sparging. (plus the klarstein comes w/ the stainless immersion chiller)

They seem identical in other respects. So check the Mash & Boil threads:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/brewers-edge-mash-and-boil.688511/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/brewers-edge-mash-boil.595987/
Lots of BE M&B threads on reddit, as well... and youtube modding videos.
What’s the voltage in the 35L anyway? At least for a few years I am undoubtedly confined to a standard American outlet and amps. Probably more like 5-10 years until kids move out. Which is one of the big appeals of Anvil is that it can switch when the time comes. But I hate planning and spending money for something that may never happen.

I can confirm the electronics and spigot on the Klarstein Maischfest match the mash and boil v.1 that I have. The grain basket and lid look very different. I have done 20 brews on the Mash and Boil with zero equipment related issues.

My mash and boil shows petty big temp swings during the mash. You can minimize this by stirring and circulating. That said, if you actually measure the temp of the mash, it stays pretty constant. I have stopped worrying about it. I know the mash and boil v.2 electronics were supposed to improve this. Which electronics the klarstein has is hard to predict (v1 or v2 or ?).

Anvil makes solid products and provides good support. I wouldnt hesitate to buy one of those if you value support, parts availability, etc. I suspect the Klarsrein will work just fine but if something does go wrong you will probably be on your own to figure out a fix.

I used the Klarstein 30L when I was working in Alaska.
It was a 110-120 volt unit and worked great for us.
The included chiller was a big plus.
They are still using it currently, as I still talk to them from time to time.
It also has a timer that can be used for either a delayed start or cutoff after a certain period of time.

What’s the voltage in the 35L anyway? At least for a few years I am undoubtedly confined to a standard American outlet and amps. Probably more like 5-10 years until kids move out. Which is one of the big appeals of Anvil is that it can switch when the time comes. But I hate planning and spending money for something that may never happen.
it's the same 110-120v as the smaller volume ones.... 2 levels of power 1000W & 1600W. Not super fast to heat up 7-8 gallons, but it gets there. I leave it partially covered until I get to a boil. Careful, though, it will boil over w/ the lid on.

I use it plugged into a standard US 20amp kitchen outlet... I use the 1600W setting to get to strike, then switch to 1000W for holding mash temp... then back to 1600W for the boil.

My biggest complaint is that the arms of the included immersion chiller are too short for a 6 gallon batch in this unit... the last loop of the coil sits above the wort.

Edit to add:

I think the European version of the Klarstein is 220v... w/ 1500/3000W power levels but the US version is only 110-120v w/ 1000/16000W...

Last edited:
The grain basket and lid look very different

Yeah, the Klarstein has a pretty annoying sparge set up. You have to pull the malt pipe, then place the drip ring on top of the kettle, then lower the pipe on top of the drip ring. You almost need 3 hands (especially of your basket full of grain is too heavy to hold up w/ one hand) or a hoist of some sort.

I've been tempted to buy a M&B replacement sparge support insert and add 1/2" bolts to the bottom of my malt pipe to mimic the M&B sparge.

Looks like the Kegland DigiMash/DigiBoil uses the same type of basket support as the M&B. For which ( if I understand correctly) , you just lift the basket and rotate a quarter turn and then rest on the basket side supports on the already in-place support ring. No extra hand needed.

I had both the M&B and the Klarstein Mundschenk. I had a lot of problems with the M&B, I was always getting the E4 error. Finally it died on me and I moved to the Mundschenk. That model is not at all like the M&B, completely different. I liked the Mundschenk, it was easy to use, you turn the basket and it rests on hooks for sparge. I was getting between 75 - 80% efficiency from it. The mash temp did fluctuate quite a bit but as another poster stated the grain bed stayed at a pretty consistent temp. I used it for about a year or so before I moved to the Clawhammer system. If you going to get a Klarstein I would go for the Mundschenk over the Maischfest. It's a bit more $$ but you'd be happier with it.
BTW, the Mundschenk is a clone of the Brew Monk, Brew Devil, and a few others that are popular in Europe.

Latest posts

Back