Kiwi (New Zealand) IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debitage

Reaction score
So I have heard some interesting things about NZ hops and have wanted to brew an IPA for a while now so here goes with my first attempt at recipe formulation modeled after a Ninkasi Total Domination clone by sub-zero. Brew Calculus is putting this at OG 1.058 / FG 1.017 with 48.2 IBU and 5.5% abv. I like the thought of an IPA with the citrus and tropical fruit characteristics of the Motueka and Riwaka. I only have pellets and am going to use some tea bags for dry hopping to contain the dissolved hop particles. Suggestions and comments about all aspects of this beer are much appreciated.

My Kiwi IPA

5lb 12oz Extra Light DME (possibly just 2, 3lb bags)
12oz Munich (steep at 150 for 20 min)
8oz Caramel/Crystal Malt-60L (steep at 150 for 20 min)

60 min - 1.5oz Motueka
30 min - 1.5oz Motueka
5 min - 1.5oz Riwaka
5 min - 1.5oz Motueka
Dry Hop @ 7 days 1.0oz Motueka
Dry Hop @ 7 days 1.0oz Riwaka

Wyeast London ESB

I've been thinking of doing something similar. Riwaka sound slike a great hop for it, but I'm not sure about Motueka which is supposed to be similar to Saaz (have you tried it before?). I would go with something more citrusy/piney like Nelson Sauvin (I really liked it in a brown ale I brewed a couple years back) to complement the Riwaka.

The base recipe looks fine, although I tend to like dry/clean IPAs, so I'd probably drop the Munich and C60 (you don't need any extra sweetness with extract and WY1968).

Good luck, interested to hear how it comes out.

Motueka is a little more 'citrusy' than Saaz. It has a distinctly lemon aroma to it. And I agree Nelson and Riwaka are great together; Nelson has that great passion fruit aroma.

Another NZ hop that goes well with an American-style IPA is Super Alpha. It is similar in aroma to Chinook.

But, otherwise, that recipe looks fine.

I recently did a Pale Ale (IBU~40) with Nelson Sauvin. Amazing flavor and aroma--totally different than PNW hops. I've heard good things about Riwaka as well. Good luck!

Thanks for the input guys. I just got the hops today and am stopping by the LHBS to pick up the rest of the ingredients. I am thinking about forgoing the dry hop and upping my late hop additions to something like the following, per this article: http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.htm and this discussion on the brewing network about the formulation of Total Domination, which is a style of IPA that I would like to emulate. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15437. The Munich and Crystal are for color and if 1968 trends towards low attenuation (which I have read it does) I'll ask the LHBS dudes if they have something a little more robust for a drier finish. Thanks again guys and I will update you on how brewday goes.

60 min - 1.5oz Motueka
20 min - 1.5oz Motueka
15 min - .5oz Motueka
15 min - .5oz Riwaka
10 min - .75oz Motueka
10 min - .75oz Riwaka
5 min - 1.5oz Riwaka
5 min - 1.5oz Motueka

Brew day was this Saturday and everything went really well. My friend Geno came over to help and it was nice to have someone around. Gravity was right on and the hop aroma was incredible, really fruity and floral but balanced. Wort tasted excellent and color was a nice amber as well. Pitched US-05 and have had extremely active fermentation since about 12 hours. Can't wait to taste another sample when I rack to secondary.

Fermentation finished quickly and racked to secondary to clear things up. Bottled and conditioning right now and will crack one in a week or so. The little bit I had left over was excellent though and I can't see this going poorly. Thanks for the input.

Opened one yesterday and while it certainly needs another week or so to carb fully this is an excellent beer. Amazing aroma, well balanced and a nice amber color.
I have enough hops to do another batch so I got ingredients to do another batch. Instead of C-60 the LHBS gave me C-80 in the same amount. I'm going to brew it anyways but other than a redder color and a little more caramel flavor does anybody see any real problem with that substitution?

I like Motueka and Pac Gem, used in equal parts, for flavor and aroma (incl. dry hop). Gives a distinct citrus and melony aroma. Really nice hops. I have a recipe on here I believe.

Back