Kittie litter brewing company pumpkin stout thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claphamsa

Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so the plan is to make a pumpkin stout.....

Ive read a ton (all I can find) about making them....

I have my stout Can from coopers. I have my sugar (4lbs dark DME)... And Im gonna go today to get my Pumpkin (they better have it!)(4 cans of pumpkin extract). And I have my yeast.

I will boil the can of extract, add sugar and all the pumpkin, boil for a little while to dissolve then rack into my carboy. simple huh? any questions? suggestions?

That's about right, but one thing to keep in mind when doing a pumpkin is that your volume into the primary fermenter should be at least 6 gallons, because the pumpkin will leave trub behind of at least one gallon.

yeah, thats what i read, Im going to rack my apfelwine into the smaller carboy, so I have the fill 6.5 gallon one available for space :)

thanks!

When I made mine, the guy at the LHBS suggested using amylase enzyme to help break down some of the starches into sugar. He said to put it in after you take it off the heat and it get down to about 145. Mine turned out very well.

Are you planning to carmelize the canned pumpkin in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes? It will give a nice roasted flavor to the stout as well as helping to convert the starches to sugars.

Basically just spread the pumpkin on baking sheets, and bake them. They'll turn a darker shade.

Just put it in the bottling bucket. Will bottle in 30 min... Tastes kinda... off. nothing horrible. just weird :(

It's going to take time in the bottle to taste right...I did a pumpkin porter around thanksgiving...and it's been in the bottles since a week before Christmas... I portioned out the bottles, opening one every few weeks...the first few tasted off as well...it's only now becoming drinkable...(Trouble is, it was only a half batch, and now that it's getting good, there's only a couple left.)

Back