Kitchen Sink Wheat Saison Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawleyFarms

Reaction score
Will have some grains leftover from a braggot experiment. Looking for some feedback. According to Brewer's Friend, everything is to style.

Basically, just going to through a little of everything in to get rid of leftovers from previous brews before they get stale.

Target 5.5g In Fermenter

OG: 1.049
FG: 1.010
ABV: 5.12%
SRM: 13.79
IBU: 26.91

155° 60 min mash
Mash out 160
Strike water 173°

2# Pale Ale
1.5# Caramunich I
8oz Munich Light
8oz Honey Malt
8oz Dextrine Malt
8oz Rolled Oats
2oz Chocolate Malt

Pre-boil:
1# Pilsen DME
1# Wheat DME

Post-boil:
1# Clover Honey

Hops:
1oz Czech Saaz @60
1oz German Hallertau @30

Wyeast French Saison 3711 @ 65° for 3 days, ramp up temps to 80° and finish at 80°.

I haven't brewed with Caramunich before, but is 1.5lb of it excessive? Weyermann recommends 5 - 10 % for dark beer and 1 - 5 %for light beer.

that isnt at all to style. saisons just vary widely since that is the spirit fo the style. But they all have several things in common and you are missing a few key points.

omit the caramunich. It absolutely has no place in a saison. As Derek of bearflavored eloquently put it:
" Finally, for the love of god: keep your saisons dry. Stick to a simple, clean malt bill. Take any caramel malt you might find laying around your brewery out back, douse it in gasoline, light it on fire, dig a ditch, shovel the remains into the ditch, and fill the ditch with concrete. Then move somewhere else, because your property might now be haunted by caramel malt."

id take the chocolate malt out definitely. Is it just for color? Most saisons are very pale

also, mash much lower. you want it as dry as possible. I mash mine at 148

that isnt at all to style. saisons just vary widely since that is the spirit fo the style. But they all have several things in common and you are missing a few key points.

omit the caramunich. It absolutely has no place in a saison. As Derek of bearflavored eloquently put it:
" Finally, for the love of god: keep your saisons dry. Stick to a simple, clean malt bill. Take any caramel malt you might find laying around your brewery out back, douse it in gasoline, light it on fire, dig a ditch, shovel the remains into the ditch, and fill the ditch with concrete. Then move somewhere else, because your property might now be haunted by caramel malt."

id take the chocolate malt out definitely. Is it just for color? Most saisons are very pale

also, mash much lower. you want it as dry as possible. I mash mine at 148

By style, I mean BJCP acceptable. IBU's, color, abv etc.

In the way of ingredients, I made a wheat n rye Saison over the summer that was one of the best I've ever had and didn't adhere to guidelines at all.

I do see what you are saying when it comes to the caramel malts. I do have the option to omit them and just grab some extra Pilsen DME instead. Though this beer will definitely finish lower than the 1.010 that brewer's friend claims. It said the wheat n rye wouldn't get below 1.02 but ended up at 1.000. That's why I added the 1# honey as a fermentable to dry it out.

May ditch the chocolate Malt as well, really just looking for a way to lose the last 2oz. May just seal it back up for another brew.

Really only have a dozen AG brews in over the last couple years, mostly work with meads, ciders and extract and partial mash. Why mash lower for a Saison?

Dump the Caramunich, honey Malt and the dextrine malt. Maybe even the chocolate. Definitely mash much lower.

Back