Kitchen Sink Session IPA feedback

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kanzimonson

Reaction score
Haven't made a kitchen sink beer in a long time but I have something like 7 half-packs of hops and some random grains. I'm looking for malt-bill feedback mostly. Here's what I have on hand:

-plenty of Maris otter and 2row
-1# honey malt
-1# crystal 90
-a few oz of english c160
-1# smoked malt (veto for an IPA, but listed here in case someone convinces me to make a different style)

I realize this is difficult without me telling you what hops I have but I honestly don't know and I'm at work right now. It's probably around 2oz total, fairly evenly mixed between US, AU/NZ, and UK. I'm going to sort through and make sure there's nothing too clashing, and then it's all going in at flameout for a 30min whirlpool.

So knowing that the hops are likely to be in the citrus/tropical/fruity range, what do you think would work? I usually use some lower crystal malt in my session IPAs but I figured a small amount of these others could work. Maybe 1% each c90 and honey malt, and the rest Maris? I also have plenty of rolled oats, which I might consider for a 10-20% addition.

OP
kanzimonson

kanzimonson

Reaction score
Oh, and I'll be using some appropriate amount of bittering hops at 60min in case that wasn't clear.

OP
kanzimonson

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I love it when I break the message board...

So I catalogued the hops last night:

14.5 Nugget (13.5%)
8.3 Cascade (7.1%)
14.2 Chinook (11.6%)
38.1 Northern Brewer (9.9%)
15 Fuggle (5.3%)

Total weight is 90.1g, which is basically 3oz. The average alpha by weight is 9.7%.

So it's about half earthy and half citrus/dank. But the citrus/dank will probably be a little more pungent than the others.

Trying to decide if I should kick up the honey and c90 to 3% each for a more amber beer. Or just adjust to make an IPA...

Latest posts