Kitchen Sink Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
In the proud and popular tradition of many homebrewers, I decided to use up all of my old stock to make a random batch of beer. Here is what I came up with!

For Three Gallons:

3 lbs Extra Light DME
1 lb Pilsner DME
1/2 lb Amber DME
1 lb Victory Malt (steep 45M)
1/2 lb Honey Malt (steep 45M)
1/3 cup white sugar (2.3 oz)

60M 1/2 oz Amarillo (8.5%AA)
10M 1/2 oz Amarillo (8.5%AA) + Irish Moss
5M 1 oz Pacific Jade (14.7%AA)
Flameout: 1 oz Pacific Jade (14.7%AA) + 1 oz Amarillo Leaf (10.4%AA)

Yeast: Danstar Windsor (though after reading some reviews here I am regretting that- I may add some S-05 in secondary to make sure this attenuates fully)

OG: 1.064

Predicted FG: 1.016
Predicted IBU's: 57 (I'm doubting that I'll get that much utilization however)
Predicted SRM: 12

I guess this is somewhere in Pale Ale territory? not sure, but hopefully it is beer!

Cool! Yeah, I'm considering adding a bit of amalyase enzyme to dry this out along with the SO-5. Hopefully that does the trick. Also, Holy ****- Windsor is quite the vigorous fermenter, it is going crazy right now!

Just reporting back on this experiment- this beer is delicious!
It is a bit on the sweet side as anticipated, but the 57 IBU's help to balance it out.
Good bready backbone from the victory malt, and the pacific jade and amarillo are a great combination!
If I brewed this again, I would probably back the honey malt down to 1/4 lb and use a more attenuating yeast like S-05. Otherwise, it is stellar!

Back