Kit with milled grains - mill again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvinsjunk

Reaction score
We ordered 3 all-grain kits from NB with their recent buy 2 get 1 free deal. The grains are already milled. We've been doing BIAB for awhile now and always had our LHBS double mill. Efficiencies have been pretty good, and OG is typically right on or a little higher than expected.

The crush from NB is definitely not as fine as what we have been seeing. I'm wondering if we should see if LHBS is willing to re-mill someone else's grains. Is there something we can do ourselves.... quick pulse in the food processor, maybe?

Thanks!

I would vote yes, try to mill them again. I would just suggest that if the LHBS is accommodating, definitely buy something from them when you're there. You're asking them to go a little above-and-beyond and it's always polite to put some effort into greasing the wheels (in the form of a purchase). If it was me, I'd go in for a shopping trip and ask at the end if I could use their mill (and no hard feelings if they say no, unless they're rude).

Back