Kit suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodger1969

Reaction score
I want to get into home brewing and would like some suggestions on which company and which kit to buy.

I want to start off with something that will last me quite awhile. I don't want to have to buy a kit now then in a month have to upgrade everything.

I guess the first question is what's your budget?
Even if you buy the cheapest kit out there you will still use the parts from it after you upgrade. I personally would recommend getting one with at least one carboy, others may say differently but I like glass.

I doubt that you'd have to upgrade anything in a month anyway - You'll just be sampling your first batch! Then you'll want to brew a couple more before you can begin determine what you think needs upgrading. Like most hobbies this is one you can make as in depth (expensive) or simple (cheap) as you want - its up to you.

I know that didn't help you at all, just my 2 pennies.

I second Ian's point. Get a basic kit (w/ carboy if you prefer) and as you get more into brewing you will get an idea of what else it useful and what not.

Kai

Try one from morebeer.com. Like this one: http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15910
Also you will need some sort of kettle. It needs to be at least 6 quarts, but the bigger the better. I went with a 12 qt so I can boil a good two gallons (remember the foam will rise up quite quickly!) The bigger your boil, the better your hop utilization, but it's not a linear factor so I wouldn't focus on a 7.5 gallon drum unless you're getting serious.

Just don't get a "Mr. Beer" kit!

beerlover84 said:
Also you will need some sort of kettle.

You may also want to consider getting a SS turkey fryer pot with burner. It's pretty useful even if you don't stick with brewing.

Kai

Kaiser said:
You may also want to consider getting a SS turkey fryer pot with burner. It's pretty useful even if you don't stick with brewing.

Kai

That's what I use. Considering the cost of a decent sized kettle, the price is worth it to get the turkey fryer setup. Sams Club has them really cheap. Then , you can brew a batch of beer, rinse it out and throw in some oil and a turkey with some taters. Mmmmm, beer and taters. Life doesn't get any better. Plus, your neighbors will love you.

The one upgrade item I would recomend above and beyond the standard equipment would be an auto siphon. once I got one, I couldn't beleive I went so long without one.

Back