Kit or individual ingredients for first homebrew attempt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpar345

Reaction score
I've seen a few people on here mention that the quality of ingredients in some kits are suspect. I don't really want to make a mediocre beer on my first attempt and I already have all the equipment I'll need. Should I get a kit or just pick up the ingredients for a simple extract recipe? Also, suggestions for said recipe is appreciated for a first-timer.

:ban:

Get a kit from a reputable place. I order mine online, Northern Brewer makes excellent quality kits.

I think if you get a kit from an upstanding online brewshop, or from a good LHBS, you're 10-4. I've done plenty of kits and had great beer every time. It can be as simple or complicated as you desire and make it. And you can still add your touch even with a kit...

Second ordering a kit from Northern Brewer. Fair prices, shipping is $8 flat for whatever you order, and they inventory is very short for the liquid extract since they sell a lot of it. You don't want a can or bottle of LME that's been sitting for 6-12 months.

If you like hops, maybe go for an American Pale Ale. But really any of the small or moderate gravity beers (less than 1.055 OG) should not require a yeast starter. I would maybe try the more specialized liquid yeasts starting in batches 2 or 3, but hydrating dry yeast packets is as simple as it comes for batch #1.

I have bought 5 kits from Northern Brewer and all have seemed very fresh. I too like that they list all the ingredients. The directions are very good so you should not have any problems brewing a great beer. I have also parted out one partial mash brew, because I could not find anything in their partial mash kits that matched what I wanted to brew. I did base the ingredients on their extract version, a Belgian Dubbel.

I got a second fermenter, so I take advantage of the flat rate shipping and buy 2 kits at one time.

Stick to a simple wheat based or pale ale kit. Something that's ready fairly quickly.

IMO too many noobs start out getting big, complex beer kits that really need months of conditioning time to be good then jump on here and panic that their beer tastes like **** after only 4-5 weeks from brewing.

Start simple, learn the process on a style that only needs 2 weeks in primary, no secondary and a quick 3 week bottle conditioning time. Build up in complexity as you get more batches under your belt.

Some examples:
American Wheats
Heffeweizens
Dunkelweizens
Pale Ales
Cream Ales

Save the Moose Drools, Fat Tire Clones, Imperials and Stouts for later down the road.

Get a copy of the Joys of Homebrewing if you dont already have one and make one of the recipes at the beginning of the recipe section. Very easy stuff with decent results. I think the first recipe calls for 5 or 6lbs of dry amber extract, two hop additions and dry yeast. Turn around time from start to drink is 14 days- it doesnt get any easier than that.

Back