Kit Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jettaman

Reaction score
I have a Munton's Dockland Porter kit. There are 2 cans of hopped LME and 1 packet of yeast (not sure what kind). The instructions tell me to pour 2 gallons of boiling water into the fermenter, stir in the LME, then top off for a total of 5 gallons. After it cools, sprinkle on the yeast.

I have never heard of this method. Is boiling the LME and water needed if the LME is already hopped? Should I go ahead and follow the kit instructions or boil my wort as I normally would?

Second question: I was thinking of adding some cherry extract to the wort. How much would I use?

I don't think it's a good idea to pour boiling water into a fermenter - ESPECIALLY if it's a glass carboy. I think I'd ignore the instructions and add the LME to your brewpot and boil it for at least 5 minutes.

I've never used fruit extract - I just added 2 pounds of fruit to a wit in the secondary and it worked out great.

Yeah, I wouldn't put boiling liquid in the fermenter. Just boil the 2 gallons of water, add the LME and let it cool. Then pour in the fermenter with the rest of the water.

I've never used fruit or extracts, but I would not put it in the primary. I would put it in the secondary after it's done fermenting, starting only with a little. If it's not enough, add a little more at bottling time.

Canned LME is sterilized and doesn't need to be boiled. Boiling it will alter the hop profile, flavor and color of the final product.

If you are using a plastic pale for fermentation you should be fine to put the water in near boiling. Be sure to sanitize the spatula you use to scrape out the LME to prevent infection.

Back