kit Belgium Recipe Modification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtg644w

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Heres the kit contents from northernbrewer.com:

12.5 lbs. Dingemans Pilsner
0.25 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
2 lbs. Clear Belgian Candi Sugar

Wyeast #1388 Belgian Strong Ale

----------------------------------------------------------
I want to double the Caramel Pils and Biscuit so that it is

12.5 lbs. Dingemans Pilsner
0.50 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.50 lbs. Dingemans Biscuit
2 lbs. Clear Belgian Candi Sugar

I will also be using chimay yeast, I believe that it is WLP500.

----------------------------------------------
My uncle likes chimay, I wanted to make something similar -- doesnt have to be a clone. I have seen anouther chimay white clone recipe that calls for 0.5 amber and 0.5 biscuit, I figured using similar Belgium ingredients would work. I'm not ready to start experimenting with Belgium recipies but I figured going off this proven Belgium Golden ale and the clone recipie I may be successful.

Well any big problems with this?

I was also curius about ferment temps and water profiles ... Thanks

Chimay clones on the interwebs are all over the place.....I haven't brewed one so someone else may be able to give you an assist there.

WLP500 is indeed reputed to be from Chimay. The Pope has a good yeast reference from Kristen England of the BJCP and Northern Brewer:
Yeast Strains
Fermentation temps are very important to getting the flavor profile that you want out of the yeast with respect to esters and phenols. If you want subtle, you'll want to start the fermentation on the cool side to discourage excessive esters & phenols then let it rise to get good attenuation.

BTW, Belgium is a country...things from Belgium are called "Belgian."

Back