Kingfisher Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Does anybody know of a recipe for a clone of "Kingfisher Beer"? It's an Indian beer and I have a request to brew a batch.

It looks "BMC Like", but I have not found a recipe for it on the net.

:confused:

I've heard of it and drank it but I couldn't tell you how to go about making it such that it would be distinct from other international lagers.

Kingfisher Premium is all malt and sold in green bottles. It's meant to be a stella/heineken type beer.

I understand that some odd preservatives/stabilizers are used in the India market, due to lack of refrigeration, but I doubt the export versions have that.

I've had a couple, I don't think I would go BMC, since I remember it have a very distinct roasted flavor. Sorry I can't be of more help than that.

OK, I found this:

KINGFISHER BEER CLONE RECIPE
To make 23 litres:

o.g. 1054 f.g. 1013 ABV 5.4% EBU 21 EBC 9

Grist
Basmatic Rice 550g – 1.25lb
Lager Malt 4400g – 9.8lb
Munich Malt 70g – 2.5oz
Flaked Maize 250g – 8oz
Crystal Malt (130 EBC = 40L) 100g – 3.5oz

Hops
Northern Brewer (8.2% alpha) 22g - bittering hops (start of boil)
Herbruscker (2.9% alpha) 8g - late hops (15 minutes before end of boil)

Preparation
Put the rice in a saucepan with 1 litre of cold water (Don’t rinse the rice as this will remove the starch that you want to keep!) bring to the boil, stir, then simmer very gently with the lid on for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.

Brewing Instructions
Set your strike temperature about 2°C lower than usual to allow for the heat in the rice.
Mash for 90 minutes at 66°. Adjust initial temperature, if necessary, by adding small amounts cold or warm water.

Add 3g Irish Moss with the late hops

Mash liquor volume: 13 litres

Sparge liquor volume: 20.9 litres

Yeast: Brewferm lager yeast

Primary Fermentation: 1 week at 15°C under airlock
Dissolve 10g Polyclar chill haze finings in 250ml water just of the boil and stir well, leave to stand for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Siphon into another vessel leaving as much sediment behind as possible. Stir in the Polyclar slurry.
Secondary Fermentation: 3 weeks at 6°C under airlock
Bottle or barrel as usual.

If you are doing an extract version, to do the partial mash, place the maize, Munich malt and crystal malt in 2 litres of water at 66°C for 20 minutes then strain into your brewing vessel.
If can’t get rice syrup, then you will need to mash the rice with lager malt to get the enzymes to convert the starch into usable sugars, so you will need to do a full mash, I’m afraid.

Kingfisher? Really?

I drank that when I was in Chennai in 2007. It wasn't that good though, tell you the truth I would have rather had a 40 of Olde English.

I wonder which yeast to use for this? I'm thinking it should be a little bit malt-forward.

did you ever brew this? how did it turn out?

Ive had kingfiisher in Chennai last year as well as in the states and there was a slightly different taste which i think is from some preservative they use out there.

did you ever brew this? how did it turn out?

Ive had kingfiisher in Chennai last year as well as in the states and there was a slightly different taste which i think is from some preservative they use out there.

Never got around to it. Maybe I will this spring, when I finish redoing my AG gear.

I am brewing this beer...actually 36 hours into the primary fermenting and it's looking good. I'll update 2 months later when I sip this bad boy

so this came out excellent....except nothing like a kingfisher...will give it another shot soon enough and report back in couple of months. beer was fantastic otherwise

Back