Single 5 gal corny mini-fridge - do they exist?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Wraith

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a mini-fridge, like the "dorm" fridges that go on sale around going-back-to-school, that would accommodate a single 5 gal corny - need internal base that would accommodate keg footprint and interior height in the 32” to 36” range. Although many of them will accommodate the footprint of a typical corny, haven't seen one with a tall enough interior. Do those those exist?

Current temporary arrangement -

temp_cider_fridge.jpeg

Last edited:
It looks like you have it setup already
Thanks for the reply - that setup is in an unfinished downstairs and whenever I want to pour a glass it requires a trip up and down stairs ... super-steep stairs. I was hoping for a mini fridge that would accommodate one 5 gal corny and I could keep mostly out of sight in the room I use as an office. Maybe what I'm looking for doesn't exist

Last edited:
Oh a single? I have a small igloo I think that someone turned into a kegerator it can hold 1 corny and 1 gas tank. Like 3.2 cu ft? You will need to relocate the freezer spot to the back wall.

Just got this as a compromise and it's very nice runs quiet and cold ... but can't replace all my cornys with 2.5 gals ...

mini_fridge.jpeg

Thanks for the links ...

So out of curiosity I tried this ... well, if the freezer panel could be dropped to the back and if the compressor bump-out wasn't there a single corny would fit with room to make connections. It would be a toss-up if one could relocate the freezer aparataus without breaking a cooling line and clearly the compressor can't be relocated.

corny_would_fit_except.jpeg

This is a brand-new unit and works perfectly so I'd hate to ruin it ... but I guess one could build a 2x6 "frame" and mount the door that much further out and then a corny would fit

EDIT - yeah, those units you sent the links to look good but are on the pricy side ... my new unit here was $139 and just got it ... Well, I've made recent some significant purchases recently so I think it's up-and-down the stairs for now

Last edited:
The compressor "bump-out" in the bottom is the deal breaker. This is the largest unit I could fit into my little office space so I guess I'm just going to be going up and down super steep steps. I joked that doing that at least I burn 1/4 calorie every time I pour a glass

You need a 4.3 or 4.4 cubic ft model without a freezer or be willing to bend the freezer down. I currently have 2 Danby 4.4 models that I turned into 2 tap kegerators. They can fit 2 full size 5 gallon next to each other. Something like this:
Yep, you answered my original question - thanks

The compressor bump is the main issue for anything under 4.3 cubic ft. I'm sure some models by some manufacturers will work but I can't give you any specific models. I got both mine off of Facebook marketplace for $50-60 each so deals are there if you want to go used.

Search around for threads on conversions to kegerators, they usually list specific models and you can see if a full keg fits without modifications.

The compressor bump is the main issue for anything under 4.3 cubic ft. I'm sure some models by some manufacturers will work but I can't give you any specific models
The cost of manufacturing a conventional household combo fridge/freezer must be higher than a fridge-only unit ... however ... fridge-only units are several times the price. Why? Because the manufacturers have a dedicated audience that specifically wants that product

Someone has thought, "Why don't we offer a mini-fridge that's right sized for a single 5 gal corny?" And if they did, it wouldn't cost more to manufacture than my $139 unit, however, it would go for $1,139

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I cut out the shelves on the door. So even a 4.4 might not work without some modifications.

Last edited:
Oh a single? I have a small igloo I think that someone turned into a kegerator it can hold 1 corny and 1 gas tank. Like 3.2 cu ft? You will need to relocate the freezer spot to the back wall.
Yeah bending the evap coil down is the best way and it’s pretty easy but I’ll list a couple of tips or things to keep in mind below I’ve learned doing it.

1. Turn it off and leave door open for a day or two to reach ambient.

2. You can take a piece of heater hose close to the same i.d. cut in half lengthwise and place it on the coil pipe side your bending it kind helps prevent kinking if you go slow and hold it in place.

3. Go slow and pay attention

4. Go slow and don’t screw up

5. Most likely your original support for the coil is not useable and the coil is now dangling in the air so it might not be bad to figure a way to help support it. This May no be necessary long term but it will help with longevity.

6. Now understand most likely your coil drip tray is gone or misaligned. Maybe not a big deal if the unit is on the porch or in garage.

7. If this was a fridge where the coil was the mini freezer your temp cal is going to be off and on most cases you have turned the entire unit into a freezer. No problem though if you have an external temp controller.

8. If you don’t have external controller pop the thermostat out ( big knob ) and find the small screw and you can adjust it to your needs once you figure out which direction is colder or warmer. This is easy but it takes a few days of messing around to get it right so don’t put anything in it until you get it right. FYI This also work on freezers.

9. If you do #8 place a cup of water with a thermometer in it to be your guide. Good luck.

... single handle AEB ... close but nope ... maybe if it was served tilted back? ... but would still need to cut up the door

single_handle_aeb.jpeg

... single handle AEB ... close but nope ... maybe if it was served tilted back? ... but would still need to cut up the door

View attachment 779812
Cut the inner portion out of the plastic but keep the outside to attach seal. Take door off the, cut it, & paint the foam. It seems to seal it and keep it from getting gross.

Attachments

• 47807FBC-229E-4155-B89D-BA4127A6ADDA.jpeg
    47807FBC-229E-4155-B89D-BA4127A6ADDA.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
4.4 cubic ft Sanyo (obsolete) holds 2 kegs plus CO2. You need to reverse the regulator hardware so it points the opposite direction
Nicely thought through ... and we're of the same school, taps inside, out of sight and cold

Here is a portable regulator I built. Holds a 88 or 95 gram CO2 cartridge. I generally naturally condition my kegs, so if you use a regulator like this, there is plenty of CO2 to serve several kegs. Just sits in the refrigerator at 9-10 psi like any other CO2 tank, holds pressure indefinitely for months and months. Very handy.
EFD4B284-C841-400B-9EDB-83F542662248.jpeg

Here is a portable regulator I built. Holds a 88 or 95 gram CO2 cartridge. I generally naturally condition my kegs, so if you use a regulator like this, there is plenty of CO2 to serve several kegs. Just sits in the refrigerator at 9-10 psi like any other CO2 tank, holds pressure indefinitely for months and months. Very handy.
Yeah, you're the James Bond kegger!

EDIT - yep, the mini C02 bottles are calling to me - I can see them for exactly your application

I have one of these cylindrical energy drink fridges that I use as a ferm chamber, others have turned theirs into a single keg kegerator.

Got mine locally on craigslist for $50, works like a champ, can be stylish too.

1662216491801.png
1662216532997.png

Once knew a guy who had a big German Shepard who had a taste for Budweiser. This guy had a kegerator with a full-size keg and it was just about full and the dog got thirsty I guess because one day when he was at work the dog pulled open the tap and let it roll. Dude come home to a beer flooded kitchen and most likely a drunk dog. Your rig might have prevented that!

A wine chiller won't have the freezer, I can fit two kegs in mine with a half shelf, not sure about a CO2 tank in addition as mine is primarily a ferm chamber. I have a 4.4 cuft Magic Chef 440YW will fit a pin lock. I had to trim the shelf doors to fit a carboy but the keg is fine without doing that. Probably would need low profile disconnects like the ptc kind.

Back