Kind of got "schooled" by JZ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
...JZ = Jamil Zainasheff.

I wrote an e-mail to him regarding his style show on BTN....a couple of messages back and forth resulted in me explaining why I think the BJCP program is bogus. He said not to judge it on what one judge says, it is the equivalent to never driving a car again because you got a flat tire. I don't necessarily agree with that--but he convinced me that all judges aren't clueless about tasting. So....he kind of talked me into getting back into the swing of things. I was already making beers for the Dominion Cup (felt I need to enter to defend the cup), and all the recent talk about the NHC and the Longshot kind of got me thinking about entering again. I WON'T be a competition whore, but I feel that the NHC and the Longshot--I could get some GREAT feedback from--especially the Longshot. We'll see.

So, I'm back on the prowl. :rockin:

Dude said:
...JZ = Jamil Zainasheff.

I wrote an e-mail to him regarding his style show on BTN....a couple of messages back and forth resulted in me explaining why I think the BJCP program is bogus. He said not to judge it on what one judge says, it is the equivalent to never driving a car again because you got a flat tire. I don't necessarily agree with that--but he convinced me that all judges aren't clueless about tasting. So....he kind of talked me into getting back into the swing of things. I was already making beers for the Dominion Cup (felt I need to enter to defend the cup), and all the recent talk about the NHC and the Longshot kind of got me thinking about entering again. I WON'T be a competition whore, but I feel that the NHC and the Longshot--I could get some GREAT feedback from--especially the Longshot. We'll see.

So, I'm back on the prowl. :rockin:

Are you still holding a grudge because that ONE judge said he tasted diacetyl? Wasn't that just one of several?

Cheesefood said:
Are you still holding a grudge because that ONE judge said he tasted diacetyl? Wasn't that just one of several?

Well, when an experienced BJCP judge can affect the opinions of other judges because he tastes somethign the others did not, that is wrong. Isn't it? He mentioned diacetyl in 5 of the 6 categories....it bugs the **** out of me. Especially when 4 other judges did not mention it once in the same sample.

Dude said:
Well, when an experienced BJCP judge can affect the opinions of other judges because he tastes somethign the others did not, that is wrong. Isn't it? He mentioned diacetyl in 5 of the 6 categories....it bugs the **** out of me. Especially when 4 other judges did not mention it once in the same sample.

Hey man, sometimes the best people on American Idol loose too. It challenged you to make better beer, right? You should be thankful because now you're more cautious about it than you were beforehand.

If you're going to get schooled by someone, JZ's not a bad choice...

I've decided to enter a couple comps, but not the one that's coming up. I'm going to re-brew the MITRB without the debittered black malt, I think it'll have enough red tinge just from the three pounds of Munich (and I might sub in a little melanoidin - sp? - malt for some of the Munich). Figured there's no point in entering an IPA which has an immediate, obvious flaw, something which makes it easy for them to set aside (given how many entrants they must get in the IPA category).

If I may reference the other Jay-Z:

99 problems but diacetyl aint one
If you're havin' judging problems I feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but diacetyl ain't one

Glad you're going to give it another shot.

Back