Kind of barley to make my own malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffOYB

Reaction score
I was thinking that most of the cost of my small batch brewing is in the malts and grains. I grow my own hops. So I thought it might be fun and thrifty to just go buy grains direct and malt them myself. Does this make any sense?

Am I right to think that the malt/grain is the biggest ingredient cost in a 5 gal kit?

So I googled and found that there are a few farmers around here who grow barley. Is there a certain kind I should look for?

I saw an old thread here in the DIY section about a guy who used "feed barley" to make his own. I've heard there is also brewer's grade, but I probably couldn't find that. Is feed grade good enough? I recall also reading somewhere that pesticide / herbicide / chems might be a concern.

Then there might be 2-row vs 6-row.

I suppose I'm not that fussy. I don't make that much. A few 5-gal batches a year. But I do like my beer to taste good! (And to be safe.) I've found that "intermediate" skill recipes seem fine to me. Heck, DIY malt might even taste better (I wouldn't be surprised).

I've lately been enjoying making my own bread, too, and find that it turns out great no matter what I do so this has given me a new interest in digging deeper into homebrewing. (Who knows, maybe I'll even someday try to grind my own flour! Or try to buy it direct somehow.)

Thanks for any barley insights!

I don't have anything to add, but I'm excited to see how this goes for you.

My gut tells me it isn't cost effective, but that's hardly the point of this hobby, most the time ;)

If I scoop a bushel out of a farmer's bin for like $5 isn't that cheaper than buying? Then I'll sprout it and roast it. Doesn't seem TOO tough or pricey... :) But my memory is bad on what ingredients cost. I recall I was spending about $30 for 5 gallons with "most" going to grain.?

Ask the farmers about the barley. Most of them will be happy to fill you in about their grains, what varieties they grow, 2 row or 6 row, herbicides or pesticides used, etc. If it is a real busy time of year for them you might not get as much info so try to time it between planting and harvest or between harvest and the next planting. If you have a tasty homebrew you might want to take along a 6 pack to offer. Some will accept, others decline, but both will appreciate the offer.

Ideally you would find 2-row that is approved for malting. I think it would be difficult to find someone who will sell barley in small increments.

I am growing 6-row in my yard this year to try the malting process myself. I chose 6-row because it is what grows well in my agricultural region.

It will take you over a week to malt your own barley and kiln it. You will likely get a lower than anticipated efficiency. Keep those two things in mind.

I for one am a fan of trying everything once but for only a couple batches a year, I would just buy the malted barley from the LHBS. Good luck in your future brewing endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back