Killian's Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdeye

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find that recipe? A kit would be great. The search function doesnt seem to work too well here.

Killian’s Irish Red Clone
3.3 Lbs Munton’s Extra Light Lme
3.0 Lbs Munton’s Light Dme
0.5 Lb Breiss Crystal 40
0.5 Lb Carapils
2.0 Oz Roasted Barley
.75 Oz Fugggle Hops (60 Min)
1.0 Oz Kent Golding Hops (15 Min)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale Yeast
Priming Sugar

O.g. 1.058 F.g.1.015
Srm 12.4 Plato 14.9
Ibu 22.5 A.b.v. 5.69

Killian's is ok, but check the recipe database for Irish Red ales. I brewed one that's a bit darker, but tastes awesome (recipe in database). There are a number of other red ales over there as well.

The Brewers Best Red Ale kit is also very good if you're looking for extract kits. It's not quite killians, but is still a good brew.

Killians Irish Red is a Lager, Can you Lager it? Also....Austin Home Brew have Commercial Clones in Extract,PM, and AG and they do have the Killians Irish Red Clone.

There's a WORLD of difference between Killian's Irish Red and a Red Ale. I learned that the hard way - Killian's was my beer of choice prior to hombrewing. An Irish Red was my first homebrew and it was MUCH "too" flavorful for me then.

Austin Home Brew has great clone kits so I'd trust to them. :)

I need to brew a Killians clone for a friend. So i suppose i need the less flavorful Irish Red brew. any suggestions for an AG batch?

Reverend JC said:
I need to brew a Killians clone for a friend. So i suppose i need the less flavorful Irish Red brew. any suggestions for an AG batch?

The Irish Red Ale is way more Flavorful then the Killians and some people that are hell bent on the Killians Version or "Coors" Version wont Like a Traditional Irish Red Ale if you want the Killians I would just order the Commercial Clone Kit from Austin.

the problem with buying the kit is i have most of the grain on hand to make what i ever i want and do not want to pay for a kit.

I will formulate one tonight and post for everyones thougths.

Ok here is what i am thinking about a killians clone.

14lbs pilsner malt
1 lb crystal 40
1/2 lb caramunich
.25 lb roasted barley
.25 lb chocolate.

this gives me an SRM of 14.8. My LHBS guy told me to get ride of the chocolate, doing so would drop the SRM to 11.4 and i think that is too lite for the Killians clone which is basically a red colored, ever, ever so slightly malty with no hop flavor or aroma, lager. This is what i am trying to duplicate for a friend who i owe 5 gallons to for throwing a fantasy football match for me so i could win (i know, im going to hell).

IBUs im thinking 25ish with willamette and galena or jut the later since i need just the bittering for balance and nothing for aroma or flavor.

Now, comes the question of yeast. It needs to give no esters to speak of. I have a Kolsch in the fermentor right now that i could easily pitch this onto. that is a very clean yeast that will come as close to a lager yeast without being a lager yeast, but i am open to suggestions on that as well.

Let me know what you think

Reverend

I can steer you in the right direction if you want it to taste close. Your recipe will make a light stout not a red. It may be somewhat red in color but not really and it won't taste like a red should.

Replace the Pilsner malt with 5 lbs of Munich malt and 3 lbs of 2-row
Replace the 1 lb of 40L crystal with 1/2 lb 120L crystal (120L is the best for reds)
Change the caramunich to 1/4 lb. (yes 1/4 lb.)
get rid of the chocolate and roasted barley

Use Hallertau and Cascade for the following additions:
1 ounce of Hallertau (3.5-4.5 AA) at 60 minutes
1/2 ounce Cascade at 45 minutes and 1/2 ounce Cascade at the last 5 minutes.

Tried and true let me know what you think if you go with the recipe.

Forrest

This was my attempt, I'll let you know how it turns out

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.63
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.76
Anticipated SRM: 12.1
Anticipated IBU: 26.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
8.6 1.00 lbs. Melanoidin Malt 1.033 35
4.3 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
47.3 5.50 lbs. Pilsen (2 Row) France 1.039 2
38.7 4.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
1.1 2oz . Roasted Barley America 1.028 450

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00 15.8 60 min.
0.75 oz. Goldings - B.C. Whole 5.20 7.9 30 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - B.C. Whole 5.20 2.7 15 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout

budbo said:
This was my attempt, I'll let you know how it turns out

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 11.63
Anticipated OG: 1.056 Plato: 13.76
Anticipated SRM: 12.1
Anticipated IBU: 26.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
8.6 1.00 lbs. Melanoidin Malt 1.033 35
4.3 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
47.3 5.50 lbs. Pilsen (2 Row) France 1.039 2
38.7 4.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) Great Britain 1.038 3
1.1 2oz . Roasted Barley America 1.028 450

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Fuggle Whole 4.00 15.8 60 min.
0.75 oz. Goldings - B.C. Whole 5.20 7.9 30 min.
0.50 oz. Goldings - B.C. Whole 5.20 2.7 15 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP004 Irish Stout
If this was YOUR attempt then YOU should have let US know how it turned out...;) :D

Austinhomebrew said:
I can steer you in the right direction if you want it to taste close. Your recipe will make a light stout not a red. It may be somewhat red in color but not really and it won't taste like a red should.

Replace the 1 lb of 40L crystal with 1/2 lb 120L crystal (120L is the best for reds)

Forrest

Does a killians have that much taste? that much munich will make it pretty malty sweet wont it?

Your the boss. i will try it and see. i may have to substitute something for the hallertau as i have none.

Looking further at my recipe the 120L should be 1/4 lb. but if you want a little more flavor you can increase it to 1/2 lb.

Comment on Tuesday 03 July, 2007
Great kit , nailed killians dead on ........will make this again

Comment
Truly amazing! AHS has done it again on this one. The closest clone I have ever made by far. :)

OK, Have been drinking this beer as laid out by forrest and it is very very good. It may be a bit more hoppy than i would concider Killians, but that is not a bad thing at all and the guy i brewed it for absolutlely loves it!

If anyone is looking to make a beer to try to show BMC drinkers a way to the light of good beer, this would make a fantastic stepping stone beer!

Highly recommended by the reverend!

Reverend JC said:
OK, Have been drinking this beer as laid out by forrest and it is very very good. It may be a bit more hoppy than i would concider Killians, but that is not a bad thing at all and the guy i brewed it for absolutlely loves it!

If anyone is looking to make a beer to try to show BMC drinkers a way to the light of good beer, this would make a fantastic stepping stone beer!

Highly recommended by the reverend!

How long has it been aging? The hops should calm down.

Forrest

You could get a keg of killians and bottle it.

It would cost a little more, but all that trouble to end up with Killians blows my mind.

well grasshopper, see if you can brew a beer so clean it really has not all that much flavor compaired to other styles.

And, the guy i made it for wanted homebrew and since he threw his fantasy football match so i would win my last game and the grand prize money i figured it as the least i could do.

Forrest it has been ageing in the keg since the middle of Feb.

Also in your recipe you call for 3 LBS. 2 Row. Is this 3 lbs of 2 row hops or 3 lbs. of 2 row malt?

I brewed this on 12/26 and based on the recipe from Forest from AHB I came up with this for a 10 gal. batch.

10 lbs of Munich malt
6 lb of 2-row
1 lb 120L crystal
1/2 lb. caramunich

2 ounces of Hallertau (3.5-4.5 AA) at 60 minutes
1 ounce Cascade at 45 minutes
1 ounce Cascade at 5 minutes.

2 tbs Irish Moss @ 10 min.

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (should have used 2 smack packs but screwed up and only bought one)

I mashed this at 155F for one hour and batch sparged. Got 12 gal. pre-boil @ 1.046 SG
OG @ 10 gal. post-boil was 1.055

I am fermenting in a chest freezer with a controller set at 65F.

After 36 hours, it is bubbling really well even with the under pitching of the yeast. I will update here when I see how it turns out.

Checked the SG yesterday (after one week). It is at 1.018 down from OG 1.046. I racked one 5 gals. into secondary and left the other 5 gals. in primary. I'm doing a test to see if they will taste different. BTW, it tastes really good right now.

Hello,
Is it light or dark munich?
Thanks!
TPH

Forrest

Back