Kilju turned into soda?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkapp00

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing kilju with turbo yeast for the last two days, I used just under a gallon of water with about 6 pounds of plain table sugar and a quarter packet of 48 hour turbo yeast. I checked it this morning and found that it’s EXTREMELY carbonated. I stirred it just a little and it fizzed up and shot out the top. I don’t have a proper airlock or brewing container so I just used a one gallon jug with cheesecloth covering the mouth. Will the carbonation stall the fermentation? Do I have to start over?

I’ve also had it at fermenting around 95-100 degrees so could the co2 buildup have been so fast that it couldn’t escape before the kilju became carbonated? I hope beyond hope that it got to 14% in those 48 hours but I don’t want to drink it if it isn’t close to that. I have no hydrometer, so there’s no way for me to tell.

Back