Khaos In K Town IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark73

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm attempting to go all grain. I need some feedback on this recipe.

9lbs 2 Row

1.5lbs Crystal 60

1 lbs Wheat

1 oz Chinook (60min)

1.5 Perle (5 min)

1 oz EK Goldings Dry hop

I have a 5 gallon cooler mash tun. Would I be able to do it in that with 11 1/2 pounds of grain?

Thanks,

Mark

I can't speak to the question about the cooler, but that crystal looks a little high. C-60 is pretty strong and 1.5 # is quite a bit. Maybe a pound at the most

I've been using this site for it's various calculators for quite a while, it seems pretty spot on.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

According to them, at 1.25qt/lb mash thickness, you will be taking up about 4.5 gallons worth of space in your tun. So you should be able to fit that recipe in your cooler. Any thinner and you're pushing it. At 1.5qt/lb you will be over by about 1 qt.

This is very helpful. I've dropped the Crystal 60 to 1lb. I'm using 60 because I have some from another brew. I've also settled on Victory Malt instead of Rye and EK Goldings for hops to give it a Brit feel. Being from Kingston, it's a British thing :)

I'm so glad about the Mash Tun, I was worried.

Thank you so much guys! I'll let you know how it turns out!

The homebrew shop didn't have Victory, but I guess Biscuit is the same thing. I decided to go for Munich. provide a richer colour, I guess.

I've been using this site for it's various calculators for quite a while, it seems pretty spot on.

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

According to them, at 1.25qt/lb mash thickness, you will be taking up about 4.5 gallons worth of space in your tun. So you should be able to fit that recipe in your cooler. Any thinner and you're pushing it. At 1.5qt/lb you will be over by about 1 qt.

Those were for 10 pounds. I have 11.5 pounds of grain.

Maybe I'm not understanding you. On the calculator, it defaults to 10lbs, but you can change it. In the "Can I mash it" section, change 10 to 11.5 and hit calculate, and a popup shows saying 4.51 gallons.

Maybe I'm not understanding you. On the calculator, it defaults to 10lbs, but you can change it. In the "Can I mash it" section, change 10 to 11.5 and hit calculate, and a popup shows saying 4.51 gallons.

Ok, I see it now. Thanks so much. Cool.

Hey Guys, I'm attempting to go all grain. I need some feedback on this recipe.

9lbs 2 Row

1 lbs Crystal 60

1 lbs Wheat

1 oz Chinook (60min)

1.5 Perle (5 min)

1 oz EK Goldings Dry hop

I have a 5 gallon cooler mash tun. Would I be able to do it in that with 11 1/2 pounds of grain?

Thanks,

Mark

Ingredients purchased and ready to roll this weekend!

Everything went all right with the brew. The only thing I did wrong was add water to the primary before the yeast to make it 6 gallons. I shouldn't have done that. It'll put all the readings off. Added .5-to a gallon of water. Live and learn. What I did find is All grain isn't as hard as I thought. More time and watching the steps, but it was awesome. We just need to remember to not add water and adjust our brew schedule a bit.

Back