key bank charges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfish63

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just have to rant on this with over 400 in charges in less than one month. Then when I try to straighten it out I get lied to by the bank manager. This is the statement I have posted on other forums.

Do not open a key bank account. If your account does not have sufficient funds you will be charged 38 dollars every time you use the card. It happens alot but is a policy they will not change. It happened to my daughter 11 times in one month. The biggest problem was that we were not aware of the 38 dollar fee. The money I put in to restock her account was not enough to offset the 38 dollar fees. Even though I deposited the money in the branch where the account was opened no one informed us it was not enough money. Find another bank there are many that will not do this.

Try a credit union. Traditional banks are out to make a profit and with f you at every opportunity. A credit union is on your side - you're an owner!

I had this problem a few years ago. I did not make a ton of money back then and went to open a new checking account. Well back then, if you didnt have I think, a minimum of $300 in there they charged you 40$ a month or something. So I didnt use that acccount ever, it was just a backup safety checking account. Well I go to use it the one da, Probably about 8 months later, and low and behold I owe them 160$. Why anyone would bank there is beyond me.

I'll second the credit union suggestion. And shop around those credit unions. Some have free online billpay and or free ATM transactions.

I've used credit unions exclusively since I was a kid and never had a customer service problem with any of them.

(actually have ONE bank that I work with which is where my 'super duper emergency' savings account is because they have a really good interest rate and a free ATM card-- atm and bank information locked in wall safe for that eventual 'rainy day')

I hate key bank with a passion. They close all of thier branches around here at 3pm, so in case you do have a problem you can't get it taken care of.

I will never use them again. Plus they charge for everything and give nothing to loyal customers.

Im confused. Sounds to me like you overdrafted your account and you were charged accordingly. Most banks will not deny a debit transaction because of insufficient funds, they will honor it and treat it like a bounced check. Sounds to me like you need to keep a closer eye on your accounts. I gave WaMu $900 one month in overdraft because of my wife. She didnt know ($100.00) meant -$100.00, costly education...
This is how all the large banks do it anyways. I am with Bank of America and couldnt be happier. I had a problem like this with WaMu but that was because their online banking, ATM, Teller, and Telephone would all tell you different balances. Plus they would go back and pull funds out of your account they day the check was written, not cashed, and then adjust your account accordingly. You could be in the green, write one check, and bounce four.

I have found if you were overdrafted by less than a buck or two you can usually write a nice email and get out of it.

I am actually a member of a credit union from back in the Ft. Bliss days. The only reason my daughter opened the Key bank account was that it was the only ATM on campus at her college. I am just really pissed about the 38 dollar instead of a insufficient funds warning that would have been free. The good news is I am unemployed right now so I have plenty of time for a one man picket line.

Im confused. Sounds to me like you overdrafted your account and you were charged accordingly. Most banks will not deny a debit transaction because of insufficient funds, they will honor it and treat it like a bounced check. Sounds to me like you need to keep a closer eye on your accounts. I gave WaMu $900 one month in overdraft because of my wife. She didnt know ($100.00) meant -$100.00, costly education...
This is how all the large banks do it anyways. I am with Bank of America and couldnt be happier. I had a problem like this with WaMu but that was because their online banking, ATM, Teller, and Telephone would all tell you different balances. Plus they would go back and pull funds out of your account they day the check was written, not cashed, and then adjust your account accordingly. You could be in the green, write one check, and bounce four.

I have found if you were overdrafted by less than a buck or two you can usually write a nice email and get out of it.

Yes your correct. However, Key Bank sucks! They really do, they are not fun to deal with and always give me the feeling like:"your going to do what we say, we don't care you if you are the customer."

Key sounds like Home Despot. Somehow, they racked up $760 worth of late-charges & fees on my CLOSED account! It took me months to get them to accept the zero balance on their own closing statement as proof that I didn't owe anything.

I don't think I was charged accordingly. A fee of 38 dollars 11 times in 22 days! The real kicker is I deposited money at the branch when my daughter said she was running low. The money I deposited did not bring it up to zero due the the 38 dollar fees. No one at the bank said a word and kept on charging the 38 dollars per use. The bank I use will not let you take out money if I don't have it. The key bank will only do that if you make the request in person at the bank.

5/3 is the horrible bank around here. We transferred money from one account to another and somehow it never got processed. 5/3 admitted it was their mistake but refused to refund any of our bounced check fees to other institutions.

Their system kept charging us a 38 dollar fee everyday. We just wanted to close the account, but everyday I had to visit a branch and get the manager to fix their error. Everyday they assured me that the fee would not come out that night. For 5 freaking days I had to make a personal visit to them. Finally on the last day I convinced the manager to bring the account balance to 0 plus the amount that would come out that night. Problem finally solved.

Key bank sucks always has, always will. They were the only game in town when I was in college in NY. Ripped me off with BS charges every month.

Got them back though last year they had a get an IPOD Nano for opening an account. Opened an account with $50 then shut it down at the min number of months. Should ave opened a dozen accounts unless they have smartened up..

I've been in a credit union for almost 30 years and NEVER had a problem.

Why anyone would you join any bank that charged a $38 fee is beyond my comprehension???

Paying for a taxi ride to an ATM in town would be cheaper then a fee... ;)

Good news, persistence pays off. I just found out after a couple of visits to the bank and 6 phone calls I am getting back all but 2 of the charges. Key bank policy is that the branch manager has full authority to refund overdraft charges. Once I went to the bank with this info and informed her I would be back every day until my issue was resolved the charges were refunded. I only asked for all but 2 as I thought that was a fair amount. Key bank still sucks just not as bad.

Sovereign Bank did the same thing to me, charged me $33 8 times in one day... you'd think after one or two they'd lock up your account. I am still fighting it and it's been over 2 months now.

Reminds me of Wells Fargo, who is evil to their core. Last year, I had deposited money on a Sunday from a mutual fund to make sure my account was covered. They tally all debits and then credits, so I bounced. I called the bank for clarification and they told me the overdraft was due to a major computer system outtage (they did this twice). So I left it be thinking it would resolve. I push the issue more and I get a call from a woman who apparently is their resident thug b(tch who in a nutshell says, FU pay me, you owe $500 in overdraft charges. No matter I was mislead all week long, I would of deposited money imediatly to cover the entire balance.

Wells Fargo: FU. Pay me.

On the other hand, I'm lucky enough to be a USAA member and they are absolutely outstanding in my experiences. I do everything with them, car insurance, mortgage, checking etc.

Since the legislation was made that banks could allow overdrafts on debit transactions those on a limited income have been getting screwed. The banks advertise and try to convince people to use debit cards for every little purchase. The commercials that make the check writer or cash user out to be the bad guy slowing everything down is the prime example. Then you make a bunch of little purchases , they re-arrange the order to make the largest transaction first, then hit yo with a 40 buck fee for your 2 dollar coffee, and 6 buck lunch and every other little thing you bought that day.
Then they turn around and make 3% off the retailer.
Keep a close eye on your balances. I still think that single piece of legislation has pumped billions out of the middle class and helped lead to our economic slowdown.

Reminds me of Wells Fargo, who is evil to their core. Last year, I had deposited money on a Sunday from a mutual fund to make sure my account was covered. They tally all debits and then credits, so I bounced. I called the bank for clarification and they told me the overdraft was due to a major computer system outtage (they did this twice). So I left it be thinking it would resolve. I push the issue more and I get a call from a woman who apparently is their resident thug b(tch who in a nutshell says, FU pay me, you owe $500 in overdraft charges. No matter I was mislead all week long, I would of deposited money imediatly to cover the entire balance.

Wells Fargo: FU. Pay me.

On the other hand, I'm lucky enough to be a USAA member and they are absolutely outstanding in my experiences. I do everything with them, car insurance, mortgage, checking etc.

+1 on USAA, best company I have ever dealt with. I too moved everything to them and sometimes it is hard to believe how nice and good they when I call with a question or problem. My wife was in a fender bender and now she is a believer too.

i remember my parents laughing their asses off when i phoned them from college stating i was low on funds....;)

Oh no not another Commerce Bank fan!
As a person employed by a bank, we look at it as, pay attention to your money! I have friends at Key bank and their customers have the same complaint about the 38 dollar charge. While it does suck, and you open an account to help you manage your money, not lose it. You really can't turn the other way when your money is in anothers hands.
If you were totally broke and needed gas to get to work or to drive a loved one to the hospital you would be thankful that the bank doesn't shut your card down and prevent you from taking cash. In that case 38 dollars wouldn't mean a thing. Not that I disagree with you...just a look at it from the eyes of a bank.

Oh no not another Commerce Bank fan!
As a person employed by a bank, we look at it as, pay attention to your money! I have friends at Key bank and their customers have the same complaint about the 38 dollar charge. While it does suck, and you open an account to help you manage your money, not lose it. You really can't turn the other way when your money is in anothers hands.
If you were totally broke and needed gas to get to work or to drive a loved one to the hospital you would be thankful that the bank doesn't shut your card down and prevent you from taking cash. In that case 38 dollars wouldn't mean a thing. Not that I disagree with you...just a look at it from the eyes of a bank.

That is why we have credit cards. It takes a lot of interest to accumulate to 38 bucks.

Back