Keurig to HERMS or RIMS project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redneck82

Reaction score
Being a brewer, you are part mad scientist, engineer, and plumber.

So when our coffee maker fried it's circuit board, I decided to do exploratory surgery to see what I could use.

I quickly realized that it already contains (relatively) easily cleaned liquid pumps that can handle near boiling liquid, a hot water tank with heating element, and all this run on 14 V!

Preliminary tests show the main pump may be able to lift up to 15 in, the heating element more than adequate (on 18V drill battery, easily boiled liquid), and all the pluming easy to clean. The hot water tank even unbolts and can be cleaned, and a coil could be added internally to make a HERMS like mash system.

Once complete, will post pics/ instructions. Just wanted to post just in case someone else wanted to try.

Cheers!
Mike

Also found out they use an air pump to push the hot liquid out of the tank. This should make a great wort aeration pump.

If you get creative, parts from used appliances can really save you money when you are trying to upgrade your rig.

Will post later on how well heating element works to heat up wort after I make wort heat exchanger.

Latest posts

Back