Kettle volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J311gonzo

Reaction score
How do you all measure wort volume accurately in your kettle? I currently have notches in my spoon and have decided to upgrade lol

i use a keggle, and i know if i get the wort dead in the middle of the second ring on the sanke, i have exactly what i need for 11 gallons

I found a calculator, that you enter the diameter of your kettle and it calculates quarts, gallons, litres per inch.

I use a length of CPVC. I added a gallon of water to my kettle, then marked it on the CPVC all the way up to the top :)

I use a ruler. I made a peaper with the comversione lenght-liters (less than one hour work), so can stop sparging when I reach my pre-boil volume

a wooden dowel.. marked off the first 2 gallons by pouring water into the kettle. Then just measured the distance in between the 2 marks and marked off the rest by measurement.

I have a keggle, and I use a plastic spoon/paddle. I took a box cutter, and sliced notches out of the spoon at each 1 gallon increment. Then, at the 6 and 7 gallon marks, I used a marker to make a ring all the way around the spoon at those notches so they can be seen easier. This just gives me a good feel that when I add my runoff to the kettle, then I am in the range of pre-boil liquid that I want to shoot for. If I am closer to the 7 gallon mark, then I boil a little longer. Just a gut check.

To be honest, if I am a half gallon off one way or the other, I don't sweat it. Typically, I prefer to be a half gallon high.....to have a half gallon more beer, but I usually end up the other way around.

+1 for a 2ft aluminum ruler. I marked off where 5g was at 70deg, and I found that I needed to add an extra inch for 5g at 220. BTW, this is the best investment I have made for all grain brewing besides my immersion chiller.

Back