Kettle valve thread size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
Anyone know the thread sizes of the kettle valve? It's the red handle one like they sell at William's brewing. I need the inner and outer thread sizes...

Thanks!

Dr. Francois said:
From Williams:

"It features 1/2" female NPT threads on the outlet, and 3/8" NPT female threads on the inside."

I read that on the website too but it doesn't seem to measure that way.

A website misprint? No, that never happens! I want to put a 90 on the kettle screen inside the pot...

don't think its a misprint it looks like they are using a 1/2x3/8 reducing bushing to make the weldless seal. So it would accept a 3/8 male fitting on the inside. You could get one of these there is an option to include an elbow and its all stainless. With a stainless valve its right around the same price.

Drag the kettle or valve to the local hardware store and try several fittings. You are guaranteed to find the right size.

I have taken similar large objects to the store for the right fitting. If it is too large, I buy several fittings, try them, then return them. I spend enough at the store that I do not feel guilty.

The locknut that goes over the thread is 1/2" NPT. If you have enough leftover thread, you could do a female 1/2" NPT elbow or street. Otherwise, it looks like a 3/8" male NPT elbow on the interior threads is the way to go for this project.

I can confirm that the Brewer's Edge Kettle Screen is 3/8" NPT. I had one on the custom kettle that I built for brewing 3.5 gallon batches for a brief period of time. I built this kettle around 3/8" NPT, which is my preferred fitting size. Half-inch fittings are complete overkill on 5 and 10-gallon batch-size kettles. One would have to use a 5/8th's hose barb to match in the internal diameter of a 3/8" schedule 40 nipple. The interior diameter of schedule 40 3/8" pipe is 0.473".

Here's a photo of the the Brewer's Edge Kettle Screen installed:

KettleInside_zps6eb8a64e.jpg

It sounds like the OP is getting hung up on the difference between pipe thread specs and actual measured OD. For example, 1/2" NPT threads will measure about .84" actual or 13/16".

Back