kettle valve location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwaugh

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm gonna add a valve and thermometer to one of my kettles. My question is about location. How close to the bottom should they be? The valve will have a dip tube on the inside. Does the thermometer need to be certain distance from the valve?

gwaugh said:
Hi everyone. I'm gonna add a valve and thermometer to one of my kettles. My question is about location. How close to the bottom should they be? The valve will have a dip tube on the inside. Does the thermometer need to be certain distance from the valve?

There's no requirement for the thermometer to be a certain distance from the valve, the biggest considerations are the following:

1. You should have the thermometer above the valve to see it easier.
2. The thermometer should be low enough that it will be we'll covered when you have your wort In the kettle.
3. If you're converting a keg, it's a wise idea to orient the valve and thermometer so that it is not situated above a hole in the keg skirt if you're using propane. That way, it'll keep your valve cooler.

Those are the three things that I can think of off the top if my head.

Back