Kettle upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasbek

Reaction score
Thinking of replacing 3G kettle with a 5 or 10 for extract brewing. 2 questions...

1- with a 5g, when following extract instructions would I just boil 5g at the start, instead of adding water at the end? Would all other steps still be correct in terms of times and amounts?

2- with a 10h could I make a double batch at once or would this be a problem?

blasbek said:
Thinking of replacing 3G kettle with a 5 or 10 for extract brewing. 2 questions...

1- with a 5g, when following extract instructions would I just boil 5g at the start, instead of adding water at the end? Would all other steps still be correct in terms of times and amounts?

2- with a 10g could I make a double batch at once or would this be a problem?

Thanks.

If I was spending money to updgade I would do the ten gallon,then you could do full boils.The bigger pot would also allow all grain if you ever decided to(alot do all grain in smaller I just do not like boilovers.)

What is your long term plans? Stick with 5 gallon or try 10? If you are making 5 you need to start with 6+ gallons, 10 and 12.5 I use a converted keg and make 10 gallon batches. If you have any plans to make 10 gallon batches I'd look at 15 gallon kettles. If you get a 10 gallon you should be good for 5 gallon BIAB AG brews. Keep us posted on your decision.

Thanks for replies.... And actually as I posted the question I found a 10g on amazon for 40 and bought it. Long term I will probably try all grain, but want to make the best extract I can before that. It will be a while before I can upgrade to ag.

blasbek said:
Thanks for replies.... And actually as I posted the question I found a 10g on amazon for 40 and bought it. Long term I will probably try all grain, but want to make the best extract I can before that. It will be a while before I can upgrade to ag.

Awesome! But upgrading to AG is as simple as a bag and maybe a burner cause your stove prob won't boil 6+ gallons. Half the AG batches I did this year were BIAB batches.

Latest posts

Back