Kettle trub vs. No trub for Under 130 degree no chill brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
I boil and chill in a little different way. It is a "No chill once chilled to under 130 degrees" way of brewing. It normally takes me around 12-16 hours to reach my room temperature yeast pitching temps after I pour ALL of the wort from the kettle into my bucket fermenter. I pour in all of the kettle trub and that brings me to my next question.

Back in the day I would pour all of my wort including kettle trub into my fermenter after doing the typical 20 minute or so immersion chill to room temperature. I have noticed new things since making the transition to this new "immersion chill to only under 130 degrees and pour, sit and wait for room temperature" way. For one: since doing this new way my trub cake is alot larger than before (even before pithing yeast) I have read the articles of kettle trub beers vs. Non kettle trub beers and I think my scenario differs a little. By doing such a long chill am I creating a large trub cake sue to the slow chill? I have read about hot break entering your beers. Would this slow chill afyer 130 create a hot break?

Am I hurting myself by not removing the wort from this large kettle trub cake? I am happy with my beers but have noticed that if I make a 10 gallon batch and split into two different 5 gallon batches that the one that was first poured out of the kettle (I sanitize and use a pitcher to pitch out my wort) the first 5 gallons removed tastes alot cleaner than the bottom of the kettles 5 gallons provides. Both come out very clear with no haze.

Does anyone do this particular style? I enjoy it be because I can no chill but not worry about dms because it is under 130 degrees.

in the winter here in New York I just turn off my kettle put a lid on it and let it cool, when it is cool I put it in

my fermenter and pitch my yeast when it is at the right temperature

I did this all last winter and it worked great

S_M

Are you chilling to 130 in your kettle, then going to the bucket, or chilling to room temp and into the bucket?

If you're pouring into the bucket at 130, I would imagine less break material would settle than would be the case if you'd chilled to room temp prior to pouring your wort into the bucket.

Are you chilling to 130 in your kettle, then going to the bucket, or chilling to room temp and into the bucket?

If you're pouring into the bucket at 130, I would imagine less break material would settle than would be the case if you'd chilled to room temp prior to pouring your wort into the bucket.

for me I am going to room temp then into the fermenter

S_M

I go straight to my bucket under 130. Just pour it right in. No worries on hot side aeration.

I'm not talking about hot side aeration, either. When waiting til 70F more trub is going to settle than at 130F.

I may start filtering out the hot break by lining my bucket with a paint strainer and pouring into that. Allow the cold break to stay later on.

I didnt mean to sound like I was pinpointing hot side aeration. I was just kind of adding it in for the desceiption of my process.

Back