Kettle Souring and equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomtown25

Reaction score
I plan on doing a kettle sour with Pantarium lacto where I boil the mash for about 15 minutes, drop it to around 90 degrees, add lactic acid to bring PH down and then let sit at about 85 degrees until the ph drops to about 3.2. At that point, I plan to do a "normal" 60 minute boil with light hops. When I go to ferment with regular yeast at this point and ultimately keg, am I safe from infecting my equipment moving forward after the 60 minute boil? (I will be using a glass carboy for the fermentation and adding fruit in secondary, but I am concerned more with racking cane/tubing/and ultimately my keg/keg lines, etc.

Finally, at what stage would it be best to add the fruit? I plan on doing a raspberry ginger kettle sour.

Yep, the boil you perform after souring kills the lacto, and since the kettle is the only thing that was in contact, it means you're good to go.

You don't even need to do a 60 minute boil if you don't want to. Pasteurizing it at 170-180F or just boiling for 10-20 minutes is fine.

Oh, and I'd add the fruit after primary fermentation is more or less complete, either in primary or secondary. I've done it with a huge amount of mango puree in primary and it was fine, flavor came through great.

Back